Networker 7.6 - Save command

ajay

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,

I have SLES11 64 bit installed on the server and I have attached tape drive to this. I am using Networker 7.6 for taking backup of my server.

I have installed Networker client, server and storage node application on the same server and I am using the save command to take the manual back up.

I have used below command-
save -J /dev/nst0

where /dev/nst0 is the tape drive path.
And I am running this command from the directory for which I want to take the back up.But I am getting below error-----

3817:save: Using localhost as server
39078:save: SYSTEM error: `localhost' is not a valid index name for the client `localhost'
5777:save: Cannot open save session with localhost

Please let me know where I am doing wrong?
any more info is required from my side?

thanks,
-ajay

Hi,

I would rather try save -s <server_name> -c <client_name> ..., where <server_name> is fully qualified name of your backup server and <client_name> fully qualified name of your client (same as backup server in your case). It seems that there is a problem with name resolution in your setup.

By the way, you are not supposed to specify tape drive path in your command, but rather name of a pool. NetWorker will determine which tape drive to use depending on the type of volumes in the pool.

Best regards, Olivier.

Me again ... ;-)

Error might also come from -J option. You are supposed to optionally set host name of a storage node there, not path of a device.

Best regards, Olivier

Hi,
if you want to a manual backup for the server using save to a particular device try this:

save -v -s "server name" -c "client name" -l level -f /dev/nst0

In this case the data will be written on drive /dev/nst0, provided you have not set any restrictions on the drives.

-J is used for specifying storage node name.

Regards
Mridul

Hi,
the message "save: Using localhost as server" comes when you do not have the name of the NetWorker server in the "/nsr/res/servers" file. Enter the name of the server in this file, restart the NetWorker services and then try the command "save /tmp", this should work if you have tapes in the "Default" pool. But the best practice to run a client initiated back is to use the server name in the command as follows :
save -s <server_name> -b <pool_name> -J <Storage_node_name> -f <Device_name> <saveset_name>

Hop this helps :).

Regards,
Rovin D'Souza.

Hi Rovin,

Could you please clear my below confusion.

1-Is storage node name,pool is necessary?

2-If there are multiple save set has failed how will start using save command?

3-Using save command is it possible to restart a group?

1 - Nope, if not mentioned it will always pick you the Storage node mentioned in the client configuration on the backup server and the pool will be Default pool.
2 - savegrp -R group_name
3 - No, save is a backup command and save does not remember any state of the backups.

HTH,
Rovin

Hi Rovin,

Thanks for your reply

savegrp -R command is executable only in networker server if we want to start using save command from client end then what will be the command ?

As mentioned earlier "save" does not store state of its previous backup. So there is now way of restarting a failed backup just by using save. However if you know what has failed you can very well start that particular saveset using save.

Yes that's true, I am going to start using below command.is this correct?

save -s server name -c client name b:\ c:\ d:\

Hi,

In my environment save sets- VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\ has failed.

I am using below command to restart the group.

savegrp -vvv -l backup level -G group name

But if we want to restart particular save sets , Then what will be the command.

You can only go down to a client level when you want to restart a group. But you cannot go down to a saveset level, atleast as far as I am aware. You are better off running that backup manually !

Back