• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

Networker 7.6 - Save command

Hi,

I have SLES11 64 bit installed on the server and I have attached tape drive to this. I am using Networker 7.6 for taking backup of my server.

I have installed Networker client, server and storage node application on the same server and I am using the save command to take the manual back up.

I have used below command-
save -J /dev/nst0

where /dev/nst0 is the tape drive path.
And I am running this command from the directory for which I want to take the back up.But I am getting below error-----

3817:save: Using localhost as server
39078:save: SYSTEM error: `localhost' is not a valid index name for the client `localhost'
5777:save: Cannot open save session with localhost

Please let me know where I am doing wrong?
any more info is required from my side?

thanks,
-ajay

steinweo

ADSM.ORG Member
Hi,

I would rather try save -s <server_name> -c <client_name> ..., where <server_name> is fully qualified name of your backup server and <client_name> fully qualified name of your client (same as backup server in your case). It seems that there is a problem with name resolution in your setup.

By the way, you are not supposed to specify tape drive path in your command, but rather name of a pool. NetWorker will determine which tape drive to use depending on the type of volumes in the pool.

Best regards, Olivier.

steinweo

ADSM.ORG Member
Me again ... ;-)

Error might also come from -J option. You are supposed to optionally set host name of a storage node there, not path of a device.

Best regards, Olivier

mridulsingh

Active Newcomer
Hi,
if you want to a manual backup for the server using save to a particular device try this:

save -v -s "server name" -c "client name" -l level -f /dev/nst0

In this case the data will be written on drive /dev/nst0, provided you have not set any restrictions on the drives.

-J is used for specifying storage node name.

Regards
Mridul

rovinabi

ADSM.ORG Member
Hi,
the message "save: Using localhost as server" comes when you do not have the name of the NetWorker server in the "/nsr/res/servers" file. Enter the name of the server in this file, restart the NetWorker services and then try the command "save /tmp", this should work if you have tapes in the "Default" pool. But the best practice to run a client initiated back is to use the server name in the command as follows :
save -s <server_name> -b <pool_name> -J <Storage_node_name> -f <Device_name> <saveset_name>

Hop this helps :).

Regards,
Rovin D'Souza.

guna.jena

Active Newcomer
Hi Rovin,

Could you please clear my below confusion.

1-Is storage node name,pool is necessary?

2-If there are multiple save set has failed how will start using save command?

3-Using save command is it possible to restart a group?

rovinabi

ADSM.ORG Member
1 - Nope, if not mentioned it will always pick you the Storage node mentioned in the client configuration on the backup server and the pool will be Default pool.
2 - savegrp -R group_name
3 - No, save is a backup command and save does not remember any state of the backups.

HTH,
Rovin

guna.jena

Active Newcomer
Hi Rovin,

Thanks for your reply

savegrp -R command is executable only in networker server if we want to start using save command from client end then what will be the command ?

rovinabi

ADSM.ORG Member
As mentioned earlier "save" does not store state of its previous backup. So there is now way of restarting a failed backup just by using save. However if you know what has failed you can very well start that particular saveset using save.

guna.jena

Active Newcomer
Hi,

In my environment save sets- VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\ has failed.

I am using below command to restart the group.

savegrp -vvv -l backup level -G group name

But if we want to restart particular save sets , Then what will be the command.

rovinabi

ADSM.ORG Member
You can only go down to a client level when you want to restart a group. But you cannot go down to a saveset level, atleast as far as I am aware. You are better off running that backup manually !

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 48 63.2%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 7 9.2%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sag