Need to restore AIX file --- BUT --- no longer have AIX hardware

evilution

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Here's the scoop. We eliminated AIX at our company but we have some AIX backups that may at some point in time need to be restored. At the time of decom we decided that in the event of restore request we would use an external company to provide us with AIX hardware.

Guess what... there is a restore request for AIX data. We don't have the HW and the business doesn't want to pay to get some.

Is there any way to recover AIX data that is still active in TSM to a non-AIX platform?

Here's the scoop. We eliminated AIX at our company but we have some AIX backups that may at some point in time need to be restored. At the time of decom we decided that in the event of restore request we would use an external company to provide us with AIX hardware.

Guess what... there is a restore request for AIX data. We don't have the HW and the business doesn't want to pay to get some.

Is there any way to recover AIX data that is still active in TSM to a non-AIX platform?

Straight answer - NO

BUT - you can try restoring to a Linux box and see if you can make TSM restore the data. I believe the answer is 'it will not'. I wanted to try this for some time now but never got to it. I just want to prove if it can or cannot be done.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I gave that a try using the following format/command.... but it didn't find any data.
dsmc res "/var/adm/wtmp/*" /tmp/newdest/ -virtualnodename=shocbs01_TIL_16nov12 -ina -pick -fromdate=MM/DD/YY

that test is not good enough I think
Normally /var/adm/wtmp is a file on AIX and not a directory

I just restored a Linux backup to an AIX system. That worked fine.
Also restored an AIX backup to a Linux, but that file does not seem to really restore. I don't see an error during the restore but the file is not created on the linux filesystem.

AIX backup restoring on a Linux system:
[root@UNDEV001 tmp]# dsmc q backup /jeroen -virtualnodename=gry014
---- ----------- ---------- --- ----
6 B 10/31/2012 09:55:12 DEFAULT A /jeroen

[root@UNDEV001 tmp]# dsmc restore /jeroen /tmp/ -virtualnodename=gry014
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
Command Line Backup-Archive Client Interface
Client Version 6, Release 2, Level 2.5
Client date/time: 10/31/2012 10:04:20
(c) Copyright by IBM Corporation and other(s) 1990, 2011. All Rights Reserved.

Node Name: GRY014
Please enter your user id <GRY014>:
Please enter password for user id "GRY014":

Session established with server TSM003: Windows
Server Version 6, Release 2, Level 3.100
Server date/time: 10/31/2012 10:04:24 Last access: 10/31/2012 10:04:01

[root@UNDEV001 tmp]# echo $?
[root@UNDEV001 tmp]# ls -la /tmp/jeroen
ls: /tmp/jeroen: No such file or directory

I do not see an error or warning on the TSM server actlog.

We managed to pull it off using the webclient. I had to log in using my admin ID. I could then browse the AIX filesystem and restore to the Linux server. Thanks!

Back