Need to move some client's nodedata from one copy pool to another copy pool

shadab

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Dear All,
We are on TSM 6.3.3 server on windows. taking backup of windows, aix, tdp oracle clients. below is the little detail.
ibm ts3310 LTO5 library / 4 drives.

windosw.dom --- 10 windows client backup --- winfs.stg is the primary pool ---> old_copypool
aix_fs.dom ---- 20 aix client backup --- aixfs.stg is the primary pool ---> old_copypool
oracle.dom -- 10 tdp ora client backup. --- oracle.stg is the primary pool ---> old_copypool

we need to move all our windows clients node data from old_copy pool to new_copypool.
Our old_copy pool will serve aix / oracle client as well.
can anyone help /explain how to do that, because in our old_copypool contain files from oracle/aix client also.
your help should be highly appriciable.

shadab.

Is your Windows clients in a different primary pool as well? If so, you can perform a new backup stgpool of the primary to the new copy.

Then delete the copy storage pool volumes that contain the Windows client only. If the data is mixed in the old copy pool, you can do a move nodedata from the old copy pool volumes to put all of a given nodes data onto its own tapes before deleting them.

Good day Marclant.
our windows clients in a diffrent primary pool . only copy pool is same for all (3 primary pool) primary pool's.
after reading your reply as per my understanding, below are the steps need to do (please correct and suggest if im wrong):
1. get the list of old_copypool volumes having windows clients data.
2. move the oracle / aix nodedata to other volumes in old_copy pool ???
3. delete volumes having windows client data. and run the backup stg for windows client's primary pool to new_copy pool ????

my confusion is :
how to play safely with mixed aix/oracle backups on old_copypool ? coz i dont want to lose that data for my mistake.
how i can move/delete only windows clients data and keep aix/oracle copy as well.

please reply.

Step 2 could be either move Windows nodes, or move AIX/Oracle nodes to new volumes in the old_copy_pool. The intent is to separate the 2, so you can delete the volumes that only contain Windows data.

I'd reverse step 2 and 3 to make sure you have at last one copy.

If you accidentally delete copy pool volumes that have good data, the next time you backup the primary pool, it will take a backup of what has been deleted.

To only move data from one node or group of node, you can do:
Code:
move nodedata NODE1,NODE2,NODE3,...,NODEn fromstgpool=old_copy_pool
This will move the data of these nodes onto new tapes and keep them together.

To see which node has data on which tape, you can do:
Code:
query occupancy stgpool=old_copy_pool

thanks alots marclant for your help and support.
i will do the same, and if i will stuck somewhere in between, will get back to you;).

Back