Need some advice - out of scratch

kongfranon

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

I have a tapespill, and a copy offsite pool. Other day we ran out of max scratch volumes, there was scratch available I tried to incrase the max scratch allowed from 30 to 40, and that worked, except it took every single scratch volume and added it to Tapespill. Now I literally have no scratch for offsitedr and db backups, and reclamation keeps failing, as well as the db backup.

Other then buying more tapes not sure what else to do? Those 12 volumes the tapespill took not all of them are used some say empty, can I change the setting on maximum scratch volume from 40 back to say 35? Will it remove tapes that have no data on it? I figured when I increased the max it would only take it as it needs it not all at once.

Storage Pool Name: TAPESPILL
Storage Pool Type: Primary
Device Class Name: LTO4
Estimated Capacity: 57,402 G
Space Trigger Util:
Pct Util: 27.8
Pct Migr: 100.0
Pct Logical: 99.9
High Mig Pct: 90
Low Mig Pct: 70
Migration Delay: 0
Migration Continue: Yes
Migration Processes: 1
Reclamation Processes: 1
Next Storage Pool:
Reclaim Storage Pool:
Maximum Size Threshold: No Limit
Access: Read/Write
Description:
Overflow Location:
Cache Migrated Files?:
Collocate?: Group
Reclamation Threshold: 60
Offsite Reclamation Limit:
Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed: 40
Number of Scratch Volumes Used: 40
Delay Period for Volume Reuse: 0 Day(s)

Storage Pool Name: OFFSITEDR
Storage Pool Type: Copy
Device Class Name: LTO4
Estimated Capacity: 63,838 G
Space Trigger Util:
Pct Util: 23.6
Pct Migr:
Pct Logical: 99.9
High Mig Pct:
Low Mig Pct:
Migration Delay:
Migration Continue:
Migration Processes:
Reclamation Processes: 1
Next Storage Pool:
Reclaim Storage Pool:
Maximum Size Threshold:
Access: Read/Write
Description:
Overflow Location:
Cache Migrated Files?:
Collocate?: No
Reclamation Threshold: 90
Offsite Reclamation Limit: No Limit
Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed: 40
Number of Scratch Volumes Used: 28
Delay Period for Volume Reuse: 14 Day(s)

PREDATAR Control23

Nope - reducing max scratch won't do you any good.

Buy more tapes - reason: you are collocating and with collocation, you will really use more tapes.

PREDATAR Control23

Nope - reducing max scratch won't do you any good.

Buy more tapes - reason: you are collocating and with collocation, you will really use more tapes.

Ok i must have messed up, my brain is shot i was up really late working on something else...need some coffee..LOL

is collocation turned on by default? I don't remember specifically setting that up or using that command.

Actually I don't think it is? I looked at the help and see it says

.-COLlocate--=--No------------
>--+-----------------------------
'-COLlocate--=--+-No--------+-
+-GRoup-----+
+-NODe------+
'-FIlespace-'

So NO is default if I am reading correctly.

Is it possible I can change it now ? If I do that will it help or cause more issues?

Last edited:
PREDATAR Control23

you can change it, but you will loose the benefits of collocation. if you want more scratch after switching off collocation, just move data from filling tapes.

PREDATAR Control23

you can change it, but you will loose the benefits of collocation. if you want more scratch after switching off collocation, just move data from filling tapes.

ok i just updated it thanks!

Yeah I would like to keep it, but my resources are really short here and not sure if i can get anymore tapes purchased.

PREDATAR Control23

How many nodes do you have in your environment?

I agree too, collocation maybe eating your tapes for no reason.

For tapes - check to make sure you are deleting your dbb tapes.

Why is reclaim failing?

PREDATAR Control23

You have collocation=group, do you have collocation groups and are your nodes assigned to those collocation groups? Another item to check is the number of migration processes you are running concurrently, assuming you are performing migration from a disk pool. A high number of concurrent migration processes tends to produce a higher number of FILLING volumes.

Also, do you have any storage agents or other direct to tape clients that perform multiple mounts during their backups? This will also add to the number of FILLING volumes.

PREDATAR Control23

I use this query to find nodes which are not assigned to a collocation group. Good to run every now and then to find if any have slipped through the cracks.

select node_name, collocgroup_name from nodes where length(collocgroup_name) is null