Need more info on Zoning

it works like VLANs on switch :)
you put devices in zones and these devices can communicate with each other. If device A and device B in different zones - there is no connectivity beetween them.
Its a ZONE SET and ZONES. Zoneset can contain multiple zones.
One zoneset can be applyed.

Zoning

Can you tell me if this is the proper way to zone?

I have HBA1 that has a zone to DiskSubsystem1. I also need to give it a LUN out of DiskSubsystem2. Do I:

a. add DiskSubsystem2 to the current zone
b. make a new zone HBA1 --> DiskSubsystem2
c. either of the above.

This is on a pair of Cisco 9216i's

Sorry, but if you'd know anything about SANs you wouldn't ask such a question - and if you don't (which is the case, obviously) they shouldn't let you get anywhere near the SAN. Go back to "start" and learn the basics.

PJ

I don't know if your comment was aimed at the first poster or me, however, if you don't know the answer to either, there's no shame in admitting it. :)

Can you tell me if this is the proper way to zone?

I have HBA1 that has a zone to DiskSubsystem1. I also need to give it a LUN out of DiskSubsystem2. Do I:

a. add DiskSubsystem2 to the current zone
b. make a new zone HBA1 --> DiskSubsystem2
c. either of the above.

This is on a pair of Cisco 9216i's

a. will work and the disksubsystems will see each other (useful for replicating)
b. will also work and the subsystems will not see each other (you might also want that)
WWNs must be in the same zone to see each other. Also remember you can have one ACTIVE zoneset.

The best practice answer is b. You shouldn't let 2 storage arrays see each other unless you are doing replication (ie PPRC/MetroMirror that kind of stuff).

Back