Need help to do automate full backup of the primary storage pool to copy storage pool every week

shahzeb

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
For DRM purpose in TSM Ver: 5.1 - I was able to run automated full backup from my primary storage pool to copy storage pool, and I had same amount of tape in the copy storage pool as the primary storage pool every week. But once I upgrade my TSM Server to TSM Ver: 5.1.5 - right now I can only have incremental backup of my primary storage to copy storage pool, and not getting same number of tape as my the primary stoarge pool usage. Is their something I am missing in TSM Ver: 5.1.5, that I did not had to do in 5.1. Please advise.

Thanks. :confused:

hi,

you have to be more specific, for instance are you doing backup of prim stgp to copy storage pool on another tsm server ?

what do you mean "only incremental backup" ? it supposed to be enough couse you can specify in properties of primary tape storage pool which is your copy pool so during automated migration from disk pool (or any other previous pool) data is beeing copyied simultaniously to primary stgp and copy stgp, so when you are doing backup of primary storage pool you are making only incremental (the changes from last migration) ...

khmm ... i think i didnt help much , or ? ;) :rolleyes:

Hi,

No, I am not backing up primary storage pool to another TSM Server. My primary, and copy storage pool are in the same server. It just happening, when I upgrade from TSM Ver: 5.1 to Ver: 5.1.5. Only thing I like to have my full Primary Storage Pool run backup full to the Copy Storage Pool every week. Any suggestion.

I know, that I can write at the same time to the Primary Tape Pool, and Copy Storage Pool from Disk Storage Pool. My backup window time is so small for 8-10TB for data daily, with 50 plus clients backup. I cannot have all the tape drives busy during the backup time.

The only thing I want to copy everything from my Primary Tape Pool to Copy Pool during the offtime, when none of my backup is running. Once I upgrade to TSM Ver: 5.1.5 first copy storage pool backup was full, but there after is incremental. All on a sudden, this start happening after I upgrade to TSM Ver: 5.1.5.

Hi, I am not sure if this will help or not.

When you backup a primary storage pool to a copy storage pool, TSM will always do an incremental. What I mean is that when you start a storage pool backup, the process will examine the database and discover what data it needs to backup. If the data was already backed up the day before (or week in your case), then it will skip that data. So every time you run a backup of your storage pool, TSM will backup everything that has changed since the last backup storage pool process ran.

In fact, if you look at the command for backing up a storage pool, you cannot tell TSM to do a full or incremental.

I hope this helps.

Dwight

Back