Need a little help on emptying a storage pool

jamesmacd40

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
hi all

I have a sequential file device class with 3 storage pools associated with it. The underlying storage for these pools filled up (located on I:\TSMDATA) so we attached a new array and assigned another directory to the device class (N:\TSMDATA)
This allowed backups to start up again, which is good.

Now there is a need to empty all of the data sitting on the I:\TSMDATA directory (about 150 x 100GB volumes) as the array that the I:\ drive references is being upgraded with new drives, which means it needs to be empty
I am using move data to move the volume within the storage pool, but what is happening is when the move data command completes, there is now free space in the I drive, and the next move data will just move it to a new volume right back on the I drive instead of the N drive.

does anyone have any suggestions on how i can accomplish this?

thanks in advance

You can do one of two things:

1 - update all the volumes in I:\TSMDATA as readonly
2 - remove I:\TSMDATA from the device class.

I'd go with the 2nd option myself. It doesn't delete the volumes or the data, however any new data written to that device class won't use I:\TSMDATA because it's no longer referenced. You'll have to do 2 at the end anyway, so less work to do at the beginning.

Keep in mind that when updating the device class, you can't remove a directory, you have to give it a new list of directories. Example:
update dev bla bla bla directory=N:\TSMDATA

I did the readonly on all volumes in the storage pool, but the movedata deletes the volume when it is moved, hence why it creates a new volume right back on I drive when it sees there is space. (we do not have predefined volumes created....)

yep, i am aware of doing the update devclass parameters, so question being, with the I:\ drive removed, i can still do the MOVE DATA data from the storage pools that had volumes sitting on the I:\drive and it will move all that over to the N drive correct?

by removing the I:\ drive, all it is doing is making it so that no new volumes will get created on the I drive, but only on N drive, but the data is still "accessible" on the I drive to move... correct?

i can still do the MOVE DATA data from the storage pools that had volumes sitting on the I:\drive and it will move all that over to the N drive correct
Yes
by removing the I:\ drive, all it is doing is making it so that no new volumes will get created on the I drive, but only on N drive, but the data is still "accessible" on the I drive to move... correct?
Yes

friggin perfect! i thought if i removed the reference of the I drive from the dev class, TSM would lose track of those storagepool volumes.

thanks

Check you copy group destination in all policy domain and also check the for storage pool volume. Define new volume to new location and make a read only to old volume. Once data is moved you can delete old volume from storage pool

Back