NDMP Restore of Old Data from Old NAS

fmalvest12

Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello,
This weekend (Oct 15/16th) we moved over to the New NAS unit. We were on the old IBM NSeries and now on a new NetApp device. I have been able to perform FULL and Diff NDMP backups successfully on the new NetApp. I need to perform a restore of the old data from prior to the cutover this weekend – our retention is 7 years so I know it's good. I would like to be able to restore it to the new NAS since the old hardware is in the process of being decommissioned.. I have done an update datamover but getting this error message as well:

ANR1776I Data mover has been updated, however a connection to the data mover failed. Please check the attributes of the file server specified in the update command. I have confirmed the ID and Password are correct as well.. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks...

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,
how does the datamover and the NAS node definition look like? (with f=d)
What about ONTAP version on the old and the new one? Both 7-mode or is the new one running the cDOT?
I understand you need to confirm you can restore the old backups - but for the migration purposes other approach can give better results (snapmirror, filer-to-filer NDMPcopy ....)

Harry

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,
how does the datamover and the NAS node definition look like? (with f=d)
What about ONTAP version on the old and the new one? Both 7-mode or is the new one running the cDOT?
I understand you need to confirm you can restore the old backups - but for the migration purposes other approach can give better results (snapmirror, filer-to-filer NDMPcopy ....)

Harry

The old was running 7-mode and the new is running cDOT 8.3... We used the 7-Mode Migration Tool to move the data from the NSeries to the NetApp unit. On the new unit, I am able to perform backup and restores with no problem. But, when I need to do a restore of the old data which was bound by the old TSM node name and datamover, it doesn't work. I am attempting to restore it to the new NetApp device. As for what the datamover and NAS node look like - I updated the datamover with the IP address and the new userid and password. (Using the same as the new Datamover). However that appears to be the area where we are having the issue. IBM had me run a trace and we can see it is failing to authenticate with the filer. I am still working with IBM and NetApp -- have a call in a few minutes.. I will update this thread with any outcome from this call but if anyone has any suggestions on what to try - completely open to it.. Thanks in advance..

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,
really curious about the outcome ...
Can you show us how the filespace names look for the old 7mode node and the new cDOT node? What TSM version do you have? Is your new (cDOT) NDMP used as node based or SVM based?
Harry

PREDATAR Control23

As far as i know, you have to restore NDMP backups to the same NAS model. It it impossible to restore it to another equipment because of the way the backup is done. (each vendor use a different protocol or something like that)

I had the same problem a few years ago, we had to find a similar NAS, restore on it, and then copy the data to the new NAS.

Sorry!