NDMP over IP with Application Managed Encryption

dazza918

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking to secure off-site NDMP backup volumes. Our TSM servers are configured to use AME with LTO5 drives, but currently we cannot encrypt the NDMP backups due to the limitation of the NAS device class. So we either use dedicated NDMP TSM servers or a dedicated NDMP logical library.

If we do NDMP backups over the IP network, instead of directly to a tape device over the SAN, then we can use a standard LTO device class that supports the 'driveencryption' option.

Could someone please confirm if this is correct?

We also use library manager, so NDMP over IP would also allow use to do NDMP backups to a library client. So this could potentially kill two birds with one stone....encrypt the NDMP backups and consolidate all backups under library manager.

Any help would be much appreciated.

(TSM versions 6.2.x & 6.3.x running on AIX and Linux, IBM TS3500 libraries)

Regards
Darren

FoE may work but not simple IP per se.

In any case, this is a terrible idea (at least from my view point).

I am not a big fan of NDMP backup since the problem is with slow restores. If I were to do this, I would just do a simple file level backup of a mapped drive into the NAS/CIFS device.

when you need to backup millions of tiny little images, mapped drive is not cutting it. I do this every day with images from different modalities in the hospital.

Back