1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

NDMP on NetApp / TSM 5.5 / Library Client

Discussion in 'NDMP' started by werkkrew, Mar 2, 2009.

1. werkkrew

werkkrew New Member

Jul 6, 2005
    I recently set up NDMP based backups for my NetApp devices using the Filer-to-Server method. While this method is working and is quite clean, many of my NDMP backups are in the multiple TB range, and I would like to use a Filer-to-Library method.

I have the NetApp zoned to the library, and it can see several tape drives.

If I define the Nodes/Datamover/Storagepools etc on a Library Client (We use a central shared library manager), how do I define the paths on the library manager?

Basically the problem I am running into is that if I attempt to define a server/path on the library manager (much as I do for a Lan-Free StorageAgent backup) the library manager will not allow me to define a path with a sourch type of datamover unless the datamover/node are defined on the library manager instance.

Is there a way around this, or does the entire NDMP config need to live on the library manager? We have no other nodes/domains/storage pools on the LM so it would not be ideal.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I would also be interested in any other NetApp/N-Series NDMP tips anyone might have.
  3. Eldoraan

Eldoraan Senior Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Answer to last question is yes - the datamover and NDMP backups are done from the library manager. Since you can't define drives on a library client, you can't define the paths the datamover needs to get to those drives. If you're using TOCs, be sure the library manager has a database with unextended space sufficient for the temporary TOC storage, along with a disk/tape pool(s) to dump those TOCs after the tocloadretention period expires.