NDMP Backup Versioning

GIBIN

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
we are performing 3-way ndmp backup from TSM server (Win2k8 , V6.3.3) to our EMC VNX NAS box .

The backup strategy followed is :

File image backup + TOC
Monthly --- Full
Daily --- Diff

I need to retain 3 months of full backups and 7 days of daily diff backup

Version Exist : No limit
Version Inactive : 7
Retain Extra : 3
Retain Only : 0

Is this the right management class configuration to achieve the above mentioned retention ? Please advise.

You need to setup 3 nodes, 1 for each retention amount. TSM cant do the normal thing of mixing retention depending on what backup was ran. Most admins do a NAS_DAILY, NAS_MONTHLY type node setup.

Thanks tsm_dude ,so as per the version inactive etc values i have configured ... i will be able to keep only
1 full + 7 daily diff .Am i am right ?

then , what does the retain extra and retain only values do ??

The best way is to do a help define copygroup is the TSM admin command line. Or help 3.13.8.1
It fully explains how TSM handles versioning and expires files etc.
What you have is 1 retention setting or 1 copy group retention settings which would give you;
All files on the NAS will be backed up and never expire, when a file changes it is backed up again, the previous version becomes inactive, or if file is deleted it also becomes inactive. You can have an unlimited number of these inactive versions, however they are only kept for 3 days, and if the file is deleted from the NAS you dont keep any versions.
I suggest you have vere=NL, verd=1, rete=7, reto=? maybe keep a backup copy of a deleted file for 7 days ?

This allows you to always go back 7 days if the file changes everyday and you back it up every day.
Then you create another node called NODE_MONTHLY and set same but with say rete=30
hope this helps but read the help files also.

Thanks dude ,I now see the pitfalls in my nas policy and will now align my nas backup along these lines..:up:

Cheers!!
Gibin

Back