NDMP backup historic limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobo-Da-Hobo

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,

I vaguely remember when backing up different CIFS shares using NDMP there was a limitation from the N-Series side where only 2 backups can run concurrently and if a third was initiated it would fail. I have had a quick Google & cannot find any reference to this.

This was a N5200, ontap version 7.2. backing up to tsm 5.5

Does anybody know if this is still an issue & better still, what was the reason/cause for the limit?

Thank you.

Hi,

I do not know of such limitation. There is another one - 16 concurrent backup/restore operations - this is an internal limitation of Data ONTAP. It is mentioned not only in the ONTAP 7.2.x Tape backup guide but in "Using the IBM System Storage N Series with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager" as well.

Harry

Hi,

I vaguely remember when backing up different CIFS shares using NDMP there was a limitation from the N-Series side where only 2 backups can run concurrently and if a third was initiated it would fail. I have had a quick Google & cannot find any reference to this.

This was a N5200, ontap version 7.2. backing up to tsm 5.5

Does anybody know if this is still an issue & better still, what was the reason/cause for the limit?

Thank you.

This isn't the case. I have NDMP backups running - 12 of those to be exact - nightly and there isn't any issue. At one time, there was 16.

The restore, as mentioned by Harry, is the issue for ONTAP 7.2.x.

This isn't the case. I have NDMP backups running - 12 of those to be exact - nightly and there isn't any issue. At one time, there was 16.

The restore, as mentioned by Harry, is the issue for ONTAP 7.2.x.

Thanks Harry & Moon-Buddy. I am not sure what it was at my old site. It was a few years ago so time has fogged my memory. the reason I raised it was bewcause I overheard a gentlemen being told the following:

'The old NetApp does not allow more than one backup & that is why your adhoc is failing"

It wasn't my issue to deal with, thankfully.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back