MYSQL TSM options

rmarkarian

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

I have been looking into the current available options for backing up MYSQL databases.

Native MySQL dumps >> TSM
ADSM Pipe >> TSM
Arkeia Network Backup
BakBone's NetVault
Oracle's InnoDB
Zmanda

Since IBM lacks a MYSQL/POSTGRES TDP, I would like to see what others are currently using. Thanks for your input.

PREDATAR Control23

The best is to use MySQL dumps and backup the dumps with TSM. This is what I have been using.

Even for Oracle, I would use dumps instead of TDP and RMAN scripts. This restores faster. The only caveat is that you cannot use RAW disk and have to stop the database when doing a backup.

PREDATAR Control23

... and have to stop the database when doing a backup.

Not true. If you have the archive logs setup to be in archive log mode, you can alter the tablespace and put it into backup mode. Once in backup mode, you can then backup the OS files that are that tablespace. Once done, alter the tablespace again to take it out of backup mode. Once all the tablespaces are backed up, backup the archive logs.

This can all be scripted at the OS level so that it is automated, checks for errors, etc.

-Aaron

PREDATAR Control23

I have been looking into the current available options for backing up MYSQL databases.

Native MySQL dumps >> TSM
ADSM Pipe >> TSM
Arkeia Network Backup
BakBone's NetVault
Oracle's InnoDB
Zmanda

Since IBM lacks a MYSQL/POSTGRES TDP, I would like to see what others are currently using. Thanks for your input.

You can use ZRM (Zmanda recovery manager) with TSM. There is a community version that can be downloaded for free. Has anyone tried it with TSM?

Paddy

PREDATAR Control23

Zmanda is most likely the way we will be going. The only downside, is we still can't interface directly with tape. A Zmanda server will backup the mysql databases over the network, then LANFREE the data to TSM with a storage agent. Zmanda will manage the retention for the backups residing on the server. TSM (Retain Only) will manage the backups that have been offloaded to TSM. The nice thing is Zmanda keeps all the metadata (even for obsolete backups) on the server, and can restore obsoleted backups once the files are restored from TSM.

PREDATAR Control23

Not true. If you have .....

This can all be scripted at the OS level so that it is automated, checks for errors, etc.

-Aaron

Aaron:

The line should really read "when doing a dump before a backup".

I am not aware of this method. I have to ask my DBA if this is an alternative.