My shiny new SP 8.1 server and Operation Center

droach

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Just stood up a Spectrum Protect 8.1 server and Operations Center and am trying to find out if I can have it deploy my client installs. I tried setting this up under v6.x but never got it to work very well. Anyone using SP or Operations Center to remotely deploy the client software?

I can always fall back to my custom scripts, but if IBM has finally gotten this to work I would love to use that capability.

Thanks...

You can do automatic client deployment, which handles updates only for the B/A Clients. The initial installation of the TSM/ISP Client has to be done manually, or through scripting or whatever software you have available to you to automate it.

I am scared to death to auto deploy as its like rolling the dice if the client update will need a reboot. Are the new client releases better about this? What happens on a auto deploy if the client system needs a reboot, does it still back up even though its pending reboot?

Well I have to agree the newer versions of the BACLIENT require a lot more baggage to function these days. That additional baggage brings with it a higher chance of requiring a reboot. But, I don't think the deployment method changes the requirements for needing a reboot or not.

I know the older version let you setup a "deployment package", just trying to figure out how that is done with v8.

That additional baggage brings with it a higher chance of requiring a reboot.
You are right. Here's more info on when a reboot is required: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEQVQ_8.1.0/client/c_inst_winclientreboot.html
I know the older version let you setup a "deployment package", just trying to figure out how that is done with v8.
Do you mean the silent install: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEQVQ_8.1.0/client/c_inst_winsilent.html

It has been a while since I tried it in v6.x, but as I recall you used Administration Center to setup "packages" (the BA Client install bits), and then you could configure the Admin Center to push out these packages and update your BA client installations.

Back