Mutli stream backups for Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobo-Da-Hobo

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello All,
We have an exchange cluster of 2 servers, running exchange 6.5.7
They are being backup using TSM 5.5 server using the TDP version 5.5.1.
These are scheduled to perform full backups every Saturday & two hourly incremental backups Monday - Friday.

The problem is that on exchange server one, with 4 databases, the weekly full backup is taking approx. 55 hours to process. (first 3 databases take 25 hours, last database takes up to 30 hours).

I have suggested changing the schedule to run 2 separate backups in parallel.
I thought this would be as simple as updating the existing command file to backup databases 1-3 and a second command to backup database 4
I could then create a second schedule for the same node to use the new command file.

My colleague thinks that we will need to define a new node to backup the db separately, & that we will also need to define an additional cluster resource on the exchange server.

I would appreciate it if any of you could advise on this in case I have missed some glaringly obvious complication from performing it the way I suggested?

Thanks in advance for your time.

I don't use the TSM scheduler for this but Windows scheduler. I fire up multiple Exchange backups for the different mailstores which uses the same node name but different OPT file

Or, you can run this in parallel using TSM scheduler with one twist: the schedule will call a DOS batch or cmd file that fires up multiple backup commands that points to the different mailstores.

Hi Moon-Buddy,
I may have notexplained my aim very well. I hope this clears up my thought process...
I plan on using 1 node, with two schedules calling two different batch files, similar to the following:
Sched Name Action Objects start dayofweek period
EXCHANGE01a_WEEKLY Command c:\excfulla.bat 00:15 Sat 1 day
EXCHANGE01b_WEEKLY Command c:\excfulla.bat 00:45 Sat 1 day

excfulla.bat
tdpexcc backup db01, db02, db03 full /excserver=EXCHANGE01 /tsmoptfile=%exc_dir%\dsm.opt /logfile=%exc_dir%\excscha.log >> %exc_dir%\exchfulla.log

excfullb.bat
tdpexcc backup db04 full /excserver=EXCHANGE01 /tsmoptfile=%exc_dir%\dsm.opt /logfile=%exc_dir%\excschb.log >> %exc_dir%\exchfullb.log

Can you see any issues, such as contention from a scheduling perspective?

Thank you

Last edited:
As I mentioned on my second post, an option is use one TSM schedule calling these two batch files from one batch file.

No conflict or contention should arise.

Hi,
Just an minor update to close the thread.
Created a batch file to call two other batch files.
The key thing for me was to use the start keyword
i.e.
start exc-a.bat
start exc-b.bat

in each exc-*.bat I entered the tdpexcc command line i needed to backup the specific databases & I had to put an 'exit' to close the active cmd window afterwards.

Thanks again for your support moon-buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back