Multiple volumes needed for move data on a single volume

Cyclone

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just added some LTO6 drives to my previously LTO4 only library. I've created a second primary storage pool and I'm using "move data" to move data from the LTO4 pool to the LTO6 pool. This is freeing up slots in the library as well as migrating data from some of my older LTO4 tapes.

I have noticed one thing that perplexes me. When I move data from a volume, it often (but not always) requests a few other volumes to perform the move. Now I would think that since it is just a single volume that I'm copying, that it would only require that sole source volume. So my question is, What is on those other volumes?

ANR2017I Administrator DOBRIEN issued command: MOVE DATA 500052 stgp=tsm.tape2
ANR2233W This command will move all of the data stored on volume 500052 to other volumes in storage pool TSM.TAPE2; the data will be inaccessible to users until the operation completes.
ANR1157I Removable volume 500094 is required for move process.
ANR1157I Removable volume 500052 is required for move process.
ANR1157I Removable volume 500258 is required for move process.
ANR0984I Process 152 for MOVE DATA started in the BACKGROUND at 17:16:10.

The other volumes are usually only read briefly before they are ejected and a the true source volume is mounted.

Thanks,

Don

You might have a file at the end of the volume that spans on another.

It can also happen because it is reconstructing aggregates. RECONSTRUCT=YES is the default for MOVE DATA when both input and output are sequential.

How do i check which the data that i am moving spans on another tape? sometimes the tape have already sent offsite so i need to cancel current move data and wait another day for the tape to be sent onsite.

If your TSM environment is (very) small you could run a query on the CONTENTS table, dump the results into a spreadsheet and try to find matching filenames on different volumes. But the quickest way is to offline your empty tape drives (to avoid volumes going UNAVAILABLE) and type 'MOVE DATA' and then check the activity log for the volume list, cancel the process and turn your tape drives back online.
I've asked IBM in an RFE to add a PREVIEW option to the MOVE DATA command to solve this very issue so please vote for it if you think it would help you.(https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=76433)

Back