Multiple Tapes for daily backup

Bharanij

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

HI Guys,

My friend having TSM 7.1.3 and TS3100 library which has 14 scratch tape and 1 dbbackup tape,

He wants to make daily full backup which like below setup is that possible

Monday –tape 1

Tuesday –tape 2

Wednesday –tape3

Thursday–tape 4

Friday–tape 5

Saturday–tape 6

Sunday–tape 7

All are different tape which he will be use tapes every week like rotation

PREDATAR Control23

HI Guys,

My friend having TSM 7.1.3 and TS3100 library which has 14 scratch tape and 1 dbbackup tape,

He wants to make daily full backup which like below setup is that possible

Monday –tape 1

Tuesday –tape 2

Wednesday –tape3

Using a TSM server for the schedule you describe seems like overkill, but it is possible. The simplest way I can think of would be to (roughly):

0. checkin the 14 libvolumes with status=private
1. define all 14 volumes in a stgpool,
2. set access to readonly to all volumes,
3. prepare for todays backup by running 'delete volume discarddata=yes' on the specific volume you want to use. (make sure you also set access to readwrite for that volume)
4. run todays full backup using the 'selective' command or the 'archive' command.

You obviously need to make sure that there is room for a full backup on one tape.

/Martin

PREDATAR Control23

Be sure to update your policies to accept at least 13 versions of both 'data exists' and 'data deleted'.

/Martin

PREDATAR Control23

You can't control on which tape backup goes. TSM is managing the inventory so you don't have to. Unless you are backing up databases, there is no advantages of doing full, should consider incremental forever.

PREDATAR Control23

No, you can't. But if you leave only one tape readwrite then TSM has only that one tape to select for backup. I would not do this, but it can be done.
That's true, but then you become the library manager, not TSM. Defeats the purpose of buying TSM. May as well get a standalone tape drive directly attached in that case and keep manually switching tapes.

PREDATAR Control23

Using a TSM server for the schedule you describe seems like overkill, but it is possible. The simplest way I can think of would be to (roughly):

0. checkin the 14 libvolumes with status=private
1. define all 14 volumes in a stgpool,
2. set access to readonly to all volumes,
3. prepare for todays backup by running 'delete volume discarddata=yes' on the specific volume you want to use. (make sure you also set access to readwrite for that volume)
4. run todays full backup using the 'selective' command or the 'archive' command.

You obviously need to make sure that there is room for a full backup on one tape.

/Martin

Hi Martin,

Thank your the reply,

1.define all the tapes as volume in stgpool
2. i set all the volume in read only

now 3 and 4 steps is like doing manual is there way i can do it automatic?

i saw some documents about administration schedule but iam not fully aware of it

my currents setup is my backup will start 11.00pm next backup will start next day 11.00pm

i dont want to do it manual about readwrite and readonly before taking backup

thanking you in advance

PREDATAR Control23

That's true, but then you become the library manager, not TSM. Defeats the purpose of buying TSM. May as well get a standalone tape drive directly attached in that case and keep manually switching tapes.

Hi,
I understand what you have said but admin team what this type of setup in ts31oo library , iam supporting them :( to save my friend job

PREDATAR Control23

i dont want to do it manual about readwrite and readonly before taking backup
If you do not want to do these steps manually, you will need to use TSM like it's intended to be used. It sounds like either you don't understand how TSM incremental forever and retention policies and volume management works, or you have requirements that may not easily be met with TSM.

Most TSM users don't know and don't care on which tapes backups are stored because the TSM Server knows that info. There's no need to know which tape a backup is on, because when the client does a restore, it has to connect to the TSM Server to get the data, and since the server knows where it is, it gives it to the client for restore.

TSM can be very complex, I would recommend you get some training before implementing it. You can start by reading this Redbook: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg245416.html?Open especially Chapter 6

Last edited:
PREDATAR Control23

thank you for the reply guys

now when i try to change readwrite iam getting this error

TSMSERVER> define volume TAPEPOOL KG0003L6 access=readwrite
ANR2347E DEFINE VOLUME: Volume name "KG0003L6" is ambiguous; resolves to multiple defined volume names.

PREDATAR Control23

ANR2347E DEFINE VOLUME: Volume name "KG0003L6" is ambiguous; resolves to multiple defined volume names.

HELP ANR2347E
HELP DEFINE VOLUME

PREDATAR Control23

If you do not want to do these steps manually, you will need to use TSM like it's intended to be used. It sounds like either you don't understand how TSM incremental forever and retention policies and volume management works, or you have requirements that may not easily be met with TSM.

Most TSM users don't know and don't care on which tapes backups are stored because the TSM Server knows that info. There's no need to know which tape a backup is on, because when the client does a restore, it has to connect to the TSM Server to get the data, and since the server knows where it is, it gives it to the client for restore.

TSM can be very complex, I would recommend you get some training before implementing it. You can start by reading this Redbook: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg245416.html?Open

I said same to the admin team. but when they bought this tsm from ibm sales person gave this type of commitment to the admin team. :( now they are hearing what we are saying and now ibm team is also not supporting for configuration.

PREDATAR Control23

HELP ANR2347E
HELP DEFINE VOLUME

i did this to define volume in stgpool
define volume TAPEPOOL KG0003L6 access=readonly

i use update volume KG0004L6 access=readwrite above was mistake

PREDATAR Control23

thank you for the reply guys

now when i try to change readwrite iam getting this error

I suspect you wanted to do 'update volume' and not 'define volume'.

/Martin

PREDATAR Control23

You need to write a simple script that keeps track of which tape is todays tape and runs the commands needed.

/Martin

Also, for the algorithm to work (3.-4.) you need to make sure todays volume is set to readonly once backup has been completed (or at least before tomorrows backup).

/Martin

PREDATAR Control23

Also, for the algorithm to work (3.-4.) you need to make sure todays volume is set to readonly once backup has been completed (or at least before tomorrows backup).

/Martin
martin,

i have doubt before when my backup start @ 11.00 pm if there is scratch it will take and write the data. now i have change all the tapes to volume what will happen when my backup start it will look for new tape or it will write on the volume which is define as readwrite?