Multiple servers under the same Node Name

mbull

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a two machine cluster running QMAIL in an active/passive setup. I have configured the two machines with the same node name and they are able to backup/restore to the same database.

I recently introduced a third node and have set it up the same as the other two. On the new (3rd) node I am able to see the files that are backed up on the other two servers. Unfortunately, if I create a file on the third node and do a 'dsmc incre <filename>', I am unable to view or restore the file on the other two nodes. Can anyone provide some insight as to why this happens?

The initial setup was done by another administrator who is no longer around. There is no proxynode configuration.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi,

well - can be several things. What is the platform of the QMAIL servers, how does the filesystem layout look like(differences like "/etc" is separate mountpoint on one machine, while on the other it is just a folder under "/"), the filesystems used etc.
From the TSM side - how does "q filespace" look for the given nodename?

Harry

Hi,

It is probably because the parition table is different - I didn't realize that would cause an issue. On the new build I have everything under '/' as at this point the build is pretty much for testing. On the production servers there are seperate paritions. Is there any way around this?

Hi,

yes, there is - you need to use {} around the filespace name to point to the right one.
If the source has /etc as a mountpoint, then files under it are saved in the /etc filespace (in TSM). Problem arises when another system stores has /etc/ as a folder in "/" - data is then stored in "/" filespace in TSM.
Then these two can distinguish between these two:
dsmc restore {/etc}/*
dsmc restore {/}/etc/*

Hope it helps

Harry

Back