Multiple offsite tapes sets

droach

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how to create multiple (complete) sets of offsite tapes. DRM seems to want to keep one set of offsite tapes sync'ed with the onsite tapes. I want to create a complete sets of offsite tapes on a weekly basis. Does anyone know a good way to do this?

If there isn't any TDP data in there...how about BackupSets...

They provide a nice layer of additional protection against a lost TSM Server since they are "self-aware". You don't need a running TSM server - or a viable TSM DB - to recover data.

Before implementing BackupSets, be sure to read up on them to understand what functionality (and limitations) they do have.

You can have multiple copy pools. Just perform a 'backup stgpool' to a secondary copy pool on a weekly basis. You'll have you primary pool, your copy pool that is updated daily and your copy pool that is updated weekly with all the data from that week.

Don't see much point to it, but I don't know your requirements.

-Aaron

I get the impression we're seeing one of those cases where somebody's trying to replicate the full+incrementals sort of regime. Otherwise, it's as simple as having a second offsite pool that you copy to only weekly.

I am new to TSM so please excuse my lack of knowledge with how it functions.

My requirement is to send a complete backup offsite every week. Every week I want to copy my entire primary storagepool (TAPEDATA) and database to a set of tapes and send them offsite. When the oldest offsite tape set is +30 days old it will be returned. The purpose is to have multiple sets offsite in case the latest copy is damaged. Am I way off base here? Dosen't everyone keep multiple copies offsite?

When I do a "backup stgpool TAPEDATA OFFDATA" command TSM appears to be keeping my OFFDATA pool synced with TAPEDATA. This only gives me one copy offsite. Is there some way for me to tell TSM to forget about keeping OFFDATA synced with TAPEDATA and just copy the entire contents like it did when I first issued the command?

I don't know anyone who tries to keep multiple complete sets offsite. This is a normal type of thinking for someone who comes from a different kind of backup tool. With TSM, the likelihood of having both the primary pool and the copy pool come up with missing/damaged data is so slim that no one I know of has more than 2 copies of the backup data. Even if one of the copies gets damaged, you can recreate the second copy from the good one.

You can define multiple offsite copy pools to do what you're asking to do. Create 30 pools and issue the backup stgpool to a new one when you want to make a complete offsite copy.

-Aaron

Back