multiple instances TSM Server on 1 Host - how do I share Tape drives?

bkenny

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
we currently run 1 tsm server on 1 host with an SL8500 lib (Acsls) with 10 LTO drives.

I would like to add a 2nd TSM server on the same host, split the Clients up etc.

Does anyone know if I can share the drives between the 2 instances?

Yes, you can.

define the second TSM server.

establish server to server communications

update the library to enable library sharing

define paths to the second TSM server to the library and drives

The first TSM server will now be the library master and the second TSM server is the library client. Both can access the tape drives. THe only advantage I can see to this is to have 2 smaller databases rather than 1 larger database.

-Aaron

I can tell you how , but I would have to charge you an hourly rate..

we currently run 1 tsm server on 1 host with an SL8500 lib (Acsls) with 10 LTO drives.

I would like to add a 2nd TSM server on the same host, split the Clients up etc.

Does anyone know if I can share the drives between the 2 instances?

We share our drives between 8 TSM instances running on 4 AIX servers at the moment. We do not run one as a manager though and there are resourcing problems with this as well. If drives numbers are a limitation, well can go into that. As far as I know there is no good product to manage the libraries either, well none that would work as well as home made code.

Use different categories for scratch etc.

Another benefit is derived in regards to DR capabilities if you are running ATL's at both sites and replicating each servers data offsite. You can also resource balance a lot better as well

Back