Multiple DB2 Partitions

dms19

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Can anyone tell me how I'll need to license several physical boxes each with multiple partitions of DB2 (DPF)?

Can we get away with just having TDP for DB2 licensed on each physical or do we need to break the TDP license out for each partition of DB2?

Hi,

licensing ... no one can be sure :) The policy is changing so often - and when you ask two IBM experts you can get three different answers :)

There is no such thing as TDP for DB2 (TDP for Databases is for MSSQL and Oracle only). DB2 has the support for TSM backup built in.
So the question is if you need to buy ANY license for DB2 box. There is nothing about this in any TSM licensing document I have (last version I have seen is from Q3 2009).
So there are two possibilities
a) you do not need any ( :) ) license - would be great but I highly doubt it these days (although I used to be told that "DB2 backups are free - already paid with DB2 license")
b) as all TSM licenses are PVU based now (so you count physical cores) I would say that all you need is the TSM Basic or TSM Extended for the physical machine. As with any other TSM license - as long as the physical cores are licensed, you may run as many instances of the product on this machine as you like (analogy - when you license TSM Basic/EE and TDP for Databases on your ESX physical cores, you may run (unlimited) number of TSM clients and Oracle/SQL agents in the virtual machines)

Harry

Thanks Harry! As far as your "A" and "B" I was hoping that was the case after reading the sticky in the DB2 section. I guess I should have read that first!

Thanks again!

Back