MSSQL log backup Capacity Planning

mmbdcis

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to produce a report for all SQL servers backup up with TDP, which should include the space reserves available for each DB, in case of a TSM disaster/failure.
In other words, I need to know for each of the Databases its average use of transaction logs, so that I can calculate how long that DB could run, staying in Full Recovery mode while the TSM backup is unavailable, considering its current disk space and limits.

Does anyone know a relevant SQL command or tool to see statistics of this sort, in order to understand how much transaction logs does a DB create every day on average?

Thanks,

Code:
select START_TIME,bytes from summary where entity='SQLTDP' and schedule_name='YourLogSchedulename'

This will give you a time range and bytes transferred. The actual log size on the sql server may be larger. If possible, allow for 2-3 days of logdata on the sql server.

Last edited:
Code:
select START_TIME,bytes from summary where entity='SQLTDP' and schedule_name='YourLogSchedulename'

This will give you a time range and bytes transferred. The actual log size on the sql server may be larger. If possible, allow for 2-3 days of logdata on the sql server.
Thanks Trident, I will check this query this week and will report back.

Well, tested the query and it looks like it's exactly what I need, thanks!
Now I'm just gonna write a script to wrap it in to and I'm ready to go.

Back