MPIO to a tape library?

LanSchroeder

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello everyone,
I have an old 2 Gbps fabric switch that i have connected to my windows2003 TSM server and to a tape library with 4 fiber drives. After running an archive job over the weekend writing to all 4 tape drives i've noticed our bottleneck is now the 2Gbps fiber connection from the server to the switch. Is there an IBM MPIO DSM i could use to team 2 fiber HBAs to the switch to get better throughput? ... I guess another good question is this even possible?

PREDATAR Control23

This is normally not a TSM setting.

This an OS and Fiber HBA setting. Q Logic, if I remember right, has a tool to do load balanced/aggregate fiber channel setup. I don't know of other Fiber HBAs.

PREDATAR Control23

I'm using Qlogic HBAs on the server... i'll have to look into that. Fiber technology is just different enough to make things really confusing to me but i'm still learning and testing.

PREDATAR Control23

Why bother trying to team? If you add another HBA to the server then just zone it so 2 drives are going down one card and the other 2 drives down the other card.

PREDATAR Control23

Turns out a newer version of IBM device drivers has the feature built into them. It just takes some configuring to get it working correctly. Who would of thought there were newer drivers for a 10+ year old OS... man i need an upgrade. :)