1. Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.
    If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.
  2. Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)
    Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

MPIO to a tape library?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by LanSchroeder, Feb 28, 2013.

1. LanSchroeder

LanSchroeder ADSM.ORG Member

Network Administrator
    Hello everyone,
    I have an old 2 Gbps fabric switch that i have connected to my windows2003 TSM server and to a tape library with 4 fiber drives. After running an archive job over the weekend writing to all 4 tape drives i've noticed our bottleneck is now the 2Gbps fiber connection from the server to the switch. Is there an IBM MPIO DSM i could use to team 2 fiber HBAs to the switch to get better throughput? ... I guess another good question is this even possible?

3. moon-buddy

moon-buddy ADSM.ORG Moderator

Electronics Engineer, Security Professional
    This is normally not a TSM setting.

This an OS and Fiber HBA setting. Q Logic, if I remember right, has a tool to do load balanced/aggregate fiber channel setup. I don't know of other Fiber HBAs.

4. LanSchroeder

Network Administrator
    I'm using Qlogic HBAs on the server... i'll have to look into that. Fiber technology is just different enough to make things really confusing to me but i'm still learning and testing.

5. Tiger22

Tiger22 ADSM.ORG Senior Member

IT Consultant
    Why bother trying to team? If you add another HBA to the server then just zone it so 2 drives are going down one card and the other 2 drives down the other card.

6. LanSchroeder

Network Administrator
    Turns out a newer version of IBM device drivers has the feature built into them. It just takes some configuring to get it working correctly. Who would of thought there were newer drivers for a 10+ year old OS... man i need an upgrade. :)