1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

Moving VMs using tapes

Discussion in 'VMWare / Virtual Machine' started by pieman, Jul 31, 2012.

1. pieman

pieman New Member

Newbie here so please be kind :p

We want to move a number of VMs to another site and while we could just export them all to a portable HDD, we have TSM and a tape library so why not use that.

Now from within a VM I've learned how to point the TSM client to the ESX host, select a VM and back it up and restore it.

What would be the best way to set aside say x number of tapes in our library and backup to various VMs to those specific tapes so we can then simply insert them at the other site and restore the VMs?

3. moon-buddy

moon-buddy Moderator

Electronics Engineer, Security Professional
    It depends on how many VMs to be moved. If this is just a few (around 100 or so), I would do this:

1. Create a new Domain et al and backup the VMs to this new Domain
    2. Take a backup of the DB from the existing site and restore it to the remote site
    3. Restore the VMs on the remote site

or:

1. Do an export of the VM (as node backup) to the existing site.
    2. Restore the VM

If there is huge number of VMs to move, I would consider a different approach. I would consider replication of images from site A to site B; or a simple image transfer

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  4. TykneeTym

TykneeTym New Member

Moving tapes from one TSM server to another is almost always a pain. I would use the portable HDD over TSM in this case.