Moving data from defunct log and database volumes

Elomis

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

While I was away on holidays another engineer had to essentially rebuild a TSM server that went through a total hardware failure. The engineer is not TSM savvy and copied as best he could what he thought I had done with mirrored log volumes and database volumes.

Problem was, rather than create mirrors for the logs and database volumes, he simply created second volumes. So now what I *had* was;

Volume Name (COPY 1) Volume Name (COPY 2)
C:\TSMDATA\LOG1.DSM D:\TSMDATA\LOG1.DSM

and

Volume Name (COPY 1) Volume Name (COPY 2)
D:\TSMDATA\DB1.DSM C:\TSMDATA\DB1.DSM

What I have now is

Volume Name (COPY1) Volume Name (COPY 2)
C:\TSMDATA\LOG1.DSM
D:\TSMDATA\LOG1.DSM

Volume Name (COPY1) Volume Name (COPY 2)
C:\TSMDATA\DB1.DSM
D:\TSMDATA\DB1.DSM

How can I, if I can, collate the logs and databases into a single volume so that I can recreate the mirrors?

Create and define a 3rd volume that can hold the entire log/db. Do NOT extend the log or DB. Remove the old volumes (TSM will move the data to the new volume you just created) Create and define your new volumes in the manner you'd like. Do NOT extend the log or DB. Remove the temporary volume you created (TSM will move the data for you)

-Aaron

Thanks for the reply, the volumes are the ones that TSM created - a few meg each, is it possible to just delete them? Will tsm move the data to the ones that have loads of space left that the engineer created?

Yes, TSM moves data off a db volume if you delete it.
It won't throw away DB data.

Back