Moving Archive data through DRM

anandgmenon

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi Team,

We have 2 Primary Tape pools one for Backup and one for Archive. We do monthend archives of data .

Kindly clarify the following points for me

1. Can we share the same copy tape storage pool for both archive and backup data ???

2. Can we specify the archive tape pool as well in DRM along with the Backup pool so that Archive data can be moved to DR ???

3. At present, the archives are happening directly to Tape, can we move the archives to a disk storage pool first and then to Tape pools ???

Hi Team,

We have 2 Primary Tape pools one for Backup and one for Archive. We do monthend archives of data .

Kindly clarify the following points for me

1. Can we share the same copy tape storage pool for both archive and backup data ???

By saying sharing, meaning using the same tapes - NO

2. Can we specify the archive tape pool as well in DRM along with the Backup pool so that Archive data can be moved to DR ???

DRM has archive data but in normal DR, you don't recover archive data

3. At present, the archives are happening directly to Tape, can we move the archives to a disk storage pool first and then to Tape pools ???

Yes. I normally do this for faster archiving.

By saying sharing, meaning using the same tapes - NO

That is not my experience. Consider the following:

Primary stgpool 1 = BACKUPPOOL
Primary stgpool 2 = ARCHIVEPOOL
Copy stgpool 1 = COPYPOOL

I can perform:

BACKUP STGPOOL BACKUPPOOL COPYPOOL
BACKUP STGPOOL ARCHIVEPOOL COPYPOOL

and data from both BACKUPPOOL and ARCHIVEPOOL will be backed up to the same COPYPOOL volume/volumes.

HTH,

Last edited:
That is not my experience. Consider the following:

Primary stgpool 1 = BACKUPPOOL
Primary stgpool 2 = ARCHIVEPOOL
Copy stgpool 1 = COPYPOOL

I can perform:

BACKUP STGPOOL BACKUPPOOL COPYPOOL
BACKUP STGPOOL ARCHIVEPOOL COPYPOOL

and data from both BACKUPPOOL and ARCHIVEPOOL will be backed up to the same COPYPOOL volume/volumes.

HTH,

I agree with you as this really can be done - but the question: is this proper?

I did this in the past and ended up with a lot of issues in DR down the road plus reclamation problems. I am hoping that no one goes down the same road as I did. However, to your point, I should have explained better what NO means.

Back