Move Scratch Tapes

sluice

Newcomer
Reaction score
I want to move some scratch tapes from theLTOOFFSITE pool to the LTOPOOL4 POOL because I'm temporarily running out of them. Making sense of TSM command options isn't very easy - I guess I need to use MOVE MEDIA, but what should come after that?

You cannot move scratch tapes because they are not yet associated with a storage pool. TSM will use scratch tapes on a as needed basis. The next pool that requests a scratch tape will obtain it.

The MOVE MEDIA command is for something else. The MOVE DATA can move data from a primary pool to another volume in the same pool or to a different primary pool. But the name of your storage pool would imply one of them is a copy pool, it's not possible to move data between primary and copy, as one is supposed to be a copy of the other.

If you are running low on scratch tapes, the obvious solution is to get more scratch tapes. Other alternatives is to run more aggressive reclamation on both primary and copy pools. The higher the threshold, the more volumes will be reclaimed. Most people use 50 under normal conditions, but go higher if in desperate need for scratch.

Other things that can be done that could help, but be cautious:
- delete older backupsets if applicable
- keep less days of database backups if possible
- review retention policy to make sure you are not keeping more versions than necessary and/or long retention
- turn off collocation if it's enabled

Back