1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

Move Data

Discussion in 'TSM Server' started by shelbyg75, Jul 14, 2008.

1. shelbyg75

shelbyg75 New Member

Hello :) We recently transfered from LTO2 to LTO4 tapes in our tape library. There are some lingering tapes in our local storage pools (not copy pools) that are <1% used. Collocated it turned on for the local storage pools. Most of these are AIX filesystem backups. I would expect when I do a move data it would the files lingering on these tapes to another tape that server has files on (I have confirmed there are tapes that are only 40% used for the same servers). But what is happening is that they are moving to Scratch volumes, so they are again creating tapes that only have a few files on them. Is there anyway around this? I would really like to make better utilization of the tapes we have in the storage pools, rather than having a bunch of LTO4 tapes sitting around with <1% on them...

Thanks so much for your time!!!

3. moon-buddy

moon-buddy Moderator

Electronics Engineer, Security Professional
    In my system, every time I move data, the data being moved goes to the next available tape that shows as filling.

It should also behave the same when you do space reclamation. TSM would be filling up the tape that is showing as filling and can accommodate the data being moved.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  4. shelbyg75

shelbyg75 New Member

That's what I would expect as well.. We've done multiple tests and the move data always goes to a scratch volume... it doesn't seem right to me...

5. Stephan

Stephan Senior Member

Storage / System Administrator (UNIX)
    Just a quick thought...isn't this where the maxscratch parameter comes into play?

6. moon-buddy

moon-buddy Moderator

The MAXSCRATCH parameter controls the maximum scratch that the pool can use, and I believe this is not the issue here.

Collocation is turned ON and I am guessing is that it goes to scratch tape because of this, and maybe the Threshold setting.

7. shelbyg75

shelbyg75 New Member

I changed the MAXSCRATCH down and it's now acting as I expected. It's moving a very under utilized LTO2 tape for SERVERA to a marginally utilized LTO4 tape for SERVERA... Thanks for everyone's help!!

Shelby

8. Stephan

Stephan Senior Member

Storage / System Administrator (UNIX)
    Good news Shelby. That's what i figured. As long as you keep your maxscratch low and your % Utilized reasonable, it will mount a filling tape unless data won't fit and it will then mount a scratch...been playing around with that as well...It is helping me keeping my scratch hungry library under control! :)

9. moon-buddy

moon-buddy Moderator

This something puzzling. I have my max scratch to a very high value and the system does not pickup and new scratch tape when there is still reasonable space available on a "filling" tape.

: data, lto4, move