Monthly backup of D: on Win client

dstril

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
I have a client that wants to backup the D: on a Win 2000 machine monthly. The drive has over a million objects and is only updated once a month. To reduce daily backup time they want to back up C: daily and D: once a month, after the update is done.

I was thinking of:

in dsm.opt DOMAIN C: - use for daily backups

make a 2nd dsm.opt(dsm1.opt) with DOMAIN D:

make a monthly with ACTION INCR and OPTIONS -optfile=dsm1.opt

Thoughts/other ideas.

You might consider an Archive of D:, that would mean you do not have to have a second DSM.OPT file.

Just a thought

Andy

I thought about that but the reason they only want to do D: monthly is that one new directory get added each month. The name changes monthly. As I understand archieve is like selective - you have to specify the directories to handle. With the name changing monthly that would require manual intervention each month, not what I want to do. :)

Archive can backup based on wildcards, but if you are only wanting to backup the one new directory this would not be a good option.

You could also try using the TSM Journal Engine. I have not tried it, but it logs the changes to the disk and therefore speeds up the backups, but I do not know what the performance penalty is during the day. If that works then you could just run a regular backup.

Command: archive -subdir=yes c:\*.*

Andy

Alcon Labs

I did DOMAIN C: in the dsm.opt. The I made a schedule to run monthly with ACTION INCR OBJECT D:. :)

Back