Migration - TSM to Avamar/Data Domain

steps3314

Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

New to the site folks and looking for some information.

Have a scenario whereby one of our clients is contemplating migrating all of their TSM backup data to EMC Avamar and EMC Data Domain.

I am looking for information around Pro's/Con's of doing so, possible means of doing the migration, risks, benefits etc

PREDATAR Control23

Welcome to the forum!

First of all, how are you storing your data right now? Tapes?

To answer your customer needs well, you should find out if they have a need for long term data retention. Avamar and Data Domain are basically disk based and any long term retention means needing more disk foot print and more energy (electricity) to keep the system running. Also, disks isn't portable - you can't just forklift the whole system drop it off on another site and make it run within 6 hours.

Tapes are easily transportable and easy to forklift. In other words, DR scenarios are easily supported.

There are other PROs and CONs but these maybe one of the highlights.

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks moon-buddy..interesting point about long term retention residing on disks which I would always agree with but never thought of the power requirements of having this data online 24*7. I understand DD have an appliance for archiving so perhaps these drives are taken off-line until needed.

The current environment is tape but looking to introduce alot more disk so we can introduce data deduplication at the source and target.

Aany ideas how a customer would migrate their TSM data on tape to a disk based solution like Avamar and Data Domain - surely this would take a lot of time and money not to mention the risk.

Welcome to the forum!

First of all, how are you storing your data right now? Tapes?

To answer your customer needs well, you should find out if they have a need for long term data retention. Avamar and Data Domain are basically disk based and any long term retention means needing more disk foot print and more energy (electricity) to keep the system running. Also, disks isn't portable - you can't just forklift the whole system drop it off on another site and make it run within 6 hours.

Tapes are easily transportable and easy to forklift. In other words, DR scenarios are easily supported.

There are other PROs and CONs but these maybe one of the highlights.

PREDATAR Control23

The way I would do the migration is to move the data by storage pool from tape to DD/Avamar. Just be aware that this may take a long time depending on the number of nodes per storage pool.

PREDATAR Control23

Please be aware, that the DD or Avamar can not deduplicate the Data if Clientcompression or Clientencryption is used in TSM.

Beside of this you can just define a "next Storagepool" pointing to your DD or Avamar and start Migration of your STG-Pool.