migration threads for random access pool and backups issue

amjain

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,

I have to backup large data ~ 300TB and have small DISK POOL SIZE 500GB. I have 3 filespaces, backing up on single node. I am triggering multiple dsmc, dividing the filespace on directories. I have 15 E06 Tape drives and can allocate 5 drives for this backup.

If I run multiple dsmc sessions the, server starts only one migration process and one tape mount.
As per ADMIN GUIDE the Migration for Random Access is "Performed by node. Migration from random-access pools can use multiple processes."

My Question:
1. On Random Access pools multiple migration sessions can be generated, only if we backup on multiple nodes ? Is my understanding correct or there is any way to increase the number of tape mounts ?

2. The only way to speed up with current resources is to backup to File device class, so that I can have multiple tape mounts?

3. Any other thoughts to speed up this backup?

Server and client both are on Linux, running TSM version 6.2.2

Thanks
Amit

I think the first thing is to make sure we know where the bottleneck is. If I read this right you have 300TB across 3 file spaces. My first thought is that your backup is spending most of the time inspecting the files and not actually moving data. If that is the case, TSM journal service would be worth a look if your platform supports it.

Back