Migrating TSM server 6.3 Linux to 7.1 Windows

asifpanjwani

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Team,

I have a TSM V6.3 on linux and i need to migrate on TSM V7.1 windows, give me step by step guide what procedure have been made need to migrate.

Hi Guys
I assume this will apply to me as well. I want to go the opposite direction of Asif?

I want to get away from Server 2008 and move to RED HAT enterprise 7 next month. Im busy with the planning

Hi Guys
I assume this will apply to me as well. I want to go the opposite direction of Asif?

I want to get away from Server 2008 and move to RED HAT enterprise 7 next month. Im busy with the planning
Yup, anytime you move the TSM Server from one platform to another, need to do an export/import.

The export/import can be very long. I have a customer doing that right now, they are doing it a few nodes at a time, once the node is imported in the new server, they move that node over to the new server. So for a while, they have both the new and old environment running in parallel. This greatly reduces the amount of downtime, but it makes for a much longer migration.

If you don't have crazy retention periods, you could setup the new server, move the clients to the new server, not all at once, first backup will be a full backup. After X number of weeks, when you feel comfortable that you will no longer need the data from the old server, decommission it.

Agreed with marclant only one solution import/export solution but its take long down time or running two pararllel server after data sync shutdown the server

I'm doing my backups directly attached to a SAN. Would I be able to access those Storage Pools from the RH7 Box?
RH7 will also be direct attached to the Storage.

No, only the server that owns the storage pool volumes can access them. You need the database and the volumes in order to access the data. The volumes alone are useless, and you can't migrate the database across platforms. The export/import is only way to bring the data over and be able to use it.

No, only the server that owns the storage pool volumes can access them. You need the database and the volumes in order to access the data. The volumes alone are useless, and you can't migrate the database across platforms. The export/import is only way to bring the data over and be able to use it.

Node replication is an other option for migrating to a different OS. See the document below.
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/...b3e&file=5d444a6d-651a-482e-b687-2fcd87e7f1ce

Back