Migrating TSM from AIX to LINUX

jeffs42885

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello,

We are currently running TSM on AIX, with a centera device class. We load files daily from Content Manager OnDemand.

Our goal is to migrate off of the AIX platform to RHEL. I was looking at exporting nodes/pools/etc, and after doing some homework I found out that we can't simply "migrate" the Centera data from AIX to Linux like we could a device class setup as "File" (I may be wrong in this understanding)

Our only solution from my end, is to retrieve all the data from OnDemand, and then reload it into the new server. Does anyone have another suggestion as to what we can do? It's no problem to create a script to fetch/retrieve the documents on the new system, but we will need a great amount of space to temporarily hold the data while it reprocesses, not to mention resource utilization during the retrieval / load.

Any suggestions are welcomed! Thanks!

PREDATAR Control23

Setup the new server in parallel next to the old, and use node replication to move the data to the new server. Once all the data has been replicated, switch OnDemand to use the new server. You can replicate X hours per day until it's all completed.

PREDATAR Control23

I found out that we can't simply "migrate" the Centera data from AIX to Linux like we could a device class setup as "File" (I may be wrong in this understanding)
You can't do that because you cannot restore an AIX database on Linux or vice-versa. The endian is different.

PREDATAR Control23

IBM told me that it's because of centera, but what you are saying about the endian makes total sense.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowled...m.ibm.itsm.srv.ref.doc/r_cmd_node_export.html

• You cannot use a CENTERA device class as the target medium for an export command, or as the source medium for an import command.

Another pitfall, and I have mentioned this in other posts, is that we are currently using TSM 5.5. Our goal is Spectrum Protect 8.1.

At this point, I think a complete retrieval and reloading of the OnDemand documents is the best thing to do since I can build a script around the included OnDemand utilities to query the database for a list of files to retireve, retireve them, and load them quickly.

PREDATAR Control23

IBM told me that it's because of centera
It might also be due to Centera. But before switching the storage, you need to restore the DB first, and since you can't do that, then whether you can swing the storage or not becomes a moot point.

PREDATAR Control23

Based on that link-

DEVclass
Specifies a sequential device class to use for storing the extracted data. This parameter is required if
you want to extract the database to media.
Restriction: You cannot use a device class with a device type of NAS or CENTERA.

PREDATAR Control23

Based on that link-

DEVclass
Specifies a sequential device class to use for storing the extracted data. This parameter is required if
you want to extract the database to media.
Restriction: You cannot use a device class with a device type of NAS or CENTERA.
Jeff, Ed was not suggesting to export/import the data, rather:
1 - move the DB from AIX to Linux using extractdb/insertdb. The extract is done to any temporary disk that you have. It could be an NFS share or SAN attached. It's just a temporary place to hold the extracted DB before inserting it. So this limitation has nothing to do with your storage pools, just the device class you point the extract to.
2 - Then switch the connections to the Centera from AIX to Linux

If it was a native storage pool, it might work. I don't know if you can do that or not with Centera. I don't know enough with how it appears to the OS to know if it will use the same paths, etc., so that TSM can find the data.
It's probably something you'd want to test first.