• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

Migrating long-term backups out of TSM and back them up on Networker 19.3

NasriSaleh

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
i am looking for a process or tool to move long-term backups out of TSM 3.1.0.6 to Networker 19.3 backups.

I read about the TSM's b-tree architecture to store backup data. TSM using Inc.-versioning versus Networker using Full-Inc/diff.
I am reaching out hoping to find a "process" -or ideally a tool!- so we avoid restoring data to shares (300s) and then backup to Networker -or it is the only choice? For Databases get more involved needing to DB2, SQL, Oracle and SAP.

I would like to know if it is at all possible to "migrate" a TSM database/metadata/catalogs to the Networker nsr environment 19.3.
Thank you for your feedback -much appreciate it-
Nasri

mikeymac

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi, @NasriSaleh! Is that REALLY version 3.1.0.6? That came out back in 1997/1998!!!!

I would contact my DellEMC account rep and see what services they can swing into action here.

Good luck!

NasriSaleh

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Thank you for your response - in the mean time, hoping to find others who have done it, tools, hints, etc.

mikeymac

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
No problem, my friend!

I really don't think there's a way to migrate data from TSM to Networker, though. You can migrate from TSM to Commvault(which we've done recently), but I don't believe Networker has similar functionality. Your DellEMC support team would have an interest in assisting you import this data to their product, so I think they'd be your best bet.

Best of luck!

NasriSaleh

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Thank you for your response - we are exploring using the export option (to at least move backup to a new hardware); however, TSM logic/backup tool will be needed to restore the data - we are testing it this week

NasriSaleh

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi @mikeymac,
regarding your question about TSM version, you are right - this version is way back on time.
Here the version details from the login session:
ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager
Command Line Administrative Interface - Version 3, Release 1, Level 0.6
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation, 1990, 1997, All Rights Reserved.
Session established with server TSMServer01: AIX
Server Version 6, Release 3, Level 4.300 <-- this is probably the pSeries 570 AIX Version
adsm>

Thanks!

NasriSaleh

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
thank you - i am so close to get resolved. I am missing how to recognize a data domain mount by TSM - would you recall the clicks? or CLIs - much appreciate it. Nasri

mikeymac

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I think you export the Data Domain storage via NFS, and mount them as NFS file systems on your *NIX TSM server. Then create a storage pool, and create disks in the storage pool using DEVTYPE=FILE. It'd be something like that.

A few years ago, some TSM/Data Domain user would have piped in with an answer, but it's much lower activity these days! :D

NasriSaleh

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Thank you!... in fact, you are correct - that is the right track to solution.

i would like to share the commands i used to far and, listed below a burning question -in case you have some suggestions- great! - thank you for feedback

In order to see my NFS on my Data Domain, i needed to use the "Directory=" definition to pin-pint the NFS share on my Data Domain 9300 -else, it will write to the default share which is the local TSM installation or where the root admin login- so, the fixing command is:

adsm> update devclass db19300 Directory=/dd19300/tsmahoc01/db19300/

I run an "export" test from TSM and i am writing to the new directory -which it is an NFS mount created on a Data Domain 9300-

Here it is the burning question: I created the Device Class "DB19300" using CLI:
adsm> DEFINE DEVCLASS DB19300 DEVTYPE=FILE MAXCAPACITY=100G MOUNTLIMIT=100
ANR2203I Device class DB19300 defined.
Then, i defined the storage pool "DB19300" using TSM GUI.

here the CLI outputs:
adsm> query devclass db19300
Device Device Storage Device Format Est/Max Mount
Class Access Pool Type Capacity Limit
Name Strategy Count (MB)
--------- ---------- ------- --------- ------ -------- ------
DB19300 Sequential 1 FILE DRIVE 102,400. 0 100

adsm>
adsm> query stgpool db19300
Storage Device Estimated Pct Pct High Low Next
Pool Name Class Name Capacity Util Migr Mig Mig Storage
Pct Pct Pool
----------- ---------- ---------- ----- ----- ---- --- -----------
DB19300 DB19300 0.0 M 0.0 100.0 90 70

My goal is to be able to use the "Export" feature to Export Client's backed up data to the new StgPool "DB19300" (located on an NFS on a new Data Domain 9300).

Please notice the "Est/Max Capacity (MB)" for the "DB19300" set to the "MAXCAPACITY=100G" (or 102,400.0 MB) i entered.

--> If i "export" a node with 850GigaBytes of data, will TSM create "additional" volume.EXP files until all client's backed up data is exported? in this example, the NFS mount will ended up having 8 "<xyz-number123+n>.exp" files plus the last "<xyz-number123+n>.EXP" file being used to about 50% equals 850GigaBytes. There will be a total of 9 Export files. right?

Is my DevClass "DB19300" and StgPool "DB19300" setup to do this Export (automatically)?

Or, do i need to define the DevClass with "MAXCAPACITY= 900G"? to accommodate this client. I would expect (the prefer choice) TSM create "automatically" additional Export files until all client's backed up is exported (complete the export - just like backups create new .BFS volume files)

Thank you very much for your response.

Nasri
if easier, my cellular: +001.586.922.9150

For reference, please find attached a compared of the Storage Pool and Device Class of a currently in use BD1 to the new "DB19300" i created here.

DeviceClassCompareDB1andDB19300-ReDataR2f.jpg
StoragePoolsCompareDB1andDB19300-RefDataR1.jpg

Attachments

mikeymac

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I've done very large EXPORTS to tape, and it'll span multiple tapes, and those will be viewable when you query the exports. The same would hold true here. You're using a serial write format (FILE is effectively the same as tape, that way), so it would just use 9 or 10 such volumes, and you'd see that evidence on the Q EXPORT command. Have you been able to verify that NetBackup will be able to see those devices you created using TSM?

NasriSaleh

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
hi - thank you for response - we are no using NetBackup. We just want to move all the "old backups" (or all backed up data with "long-term" retention) from an old Data Domain 990 to a new Data Domain 9300.

We will keep the TSM running on the background and import the Exported Backed up Data from the 9300 into TSM to restore anything -as needed- but data/metadata/catalog is on the new 9300 disks.

I just run the query Export Command, here the output - what could you please share from this output? thank you:
++++ begin++++
adsm> q export

Export identifier Start Date Status Process Command
Number
-------------------- ---------- ------------- ------- -------------------------
EXPORT_NODE_4076 08/07/2015 Suspended export node
12:30:57 miahcgww12_tdp
toserver=tsmahoc02
mergefilespaces=yes
previewimport=no
filedata=all

adsm> q export format=Detailed

Export identifier: EXPORT_NODE_4076
Start Date: 08/07/2015 12:30:57
Process Number:
Command: export node miahcgww12_tdp toserver=tsmahoc02 mergefilespaces=yes previewimport=no filedata=all
Phase: File list complete. Exporting eligible files
Total running time: 0 Day(s) 0 Hour(s) 0 Minute(s)
Current Process Running Time:
Export Operation Restart Count: 0
Date and Time of Last Restart:
Date and Time of Last Suspend:
Policy Domains Exported: 0
Policy Sets Exported: 0
Schedules Exported: 0
Mgmt Classes Exported: 0
Copy Groups Exported: 0
Administrators Exported: 0
Option Sets Exported: 1
Node Definitions Exported: 1
Filespace Definitions Exported: 1
Archive Files Exported: 0
Backup Files Exported: 917
Space Managed Files Exported: 0
Archive Files Skipped: 0
Backup Files Skipped: 0
Space Managed Files Skipped: 0
Total Bytes Transferred (MB): 240.9
Total Files to Transfer: 1,639
Files Remaining: 722

adsm>
++++ end +++++

thank you,

Nasri

mikeymac

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The export is suspended status. You'll need to look in the ACTLOG for that time, and see what the issue was. In my case, I'd either be missing an input tape, or the tape would be unreadable. Not sure what you're issue is. The ACTLOG should tell the story!

NasriSaleh

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Thank you - we are using Data Domains for Export - I run another test and data/export is working - status successful!.... yeaahhh!

NasriSaleh

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
hi, question hoping you can please brighten my day: My Export command is working and i can see the .EXP files being written to the new Data Domain.
From my TSM adsm> command line, how can i list the .EXP volumes being written to the Data Domain? for example: adsm> query vol * devclass=DD9300EXPLOC

I am able to see volumes for DB1 but where the the .EXP volumes?
please see attached images - i compared Device Classes: DB1 and DD9300EXPLOC

Thank you very much for your response,

Nasri

Attachments

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 61 61.0%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 12 12.0%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 8 8.0%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bastischubert