Migrate "some " HSM managed data from an old TSM server/client system to a new one

tivolimistery

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would ask you some information about the correct procedure to migrate some HSM managed data from an old TSM/HSM client/server system to a new one ( if you think that it's possible to do ). I will try to describe better my environment.

• we have 2 High Performance Computing systems ( named "cluster1" and "cluster2" ), each one connect to the same TSM server using 4 HSM clients and each one mount a GPFS file system (named respectively "archive1" and "archive2") managed by Tivoli HSM;
  • both the 2 GPFS file systems have been managed, until now, by a single TSM server.

Now, we are going to decommit one of this system (named "cluster1") and we would like to do the following:

• create a new, separated and updated TSM client/server system for "cluster2";
  • move only "archive2" data managed by old TSM/HSM client/server system to the new one;
  • let cluster1 continue to use old TSM/HSM system to manage "archive1" data

I thought to recall (from old TSM/HSM server) all migrated "archive2" data and then migrate them using the new TSM/HSM client/server system, BUT:
about 400TB have already been mirgated from "archive2" to tape and we can't recall them because "archive2" file system size is about 171TB.

Could someone tell me the correct procedure that I have to follow?

Thanks in advance,
Mauro Tridici

Hi Mikey,

I'm going to check the link you suggested.

Thanks a lot!
Have a great day.
Mauro Tridici

Hi Mikey, Hi all,

I read the link you suggested, but, if I understand correctly, it contains important information about moving data from one HSM file system to another one. Doesn't it?! Am I wrong?

I'll try to explain better my problem starting from my environment:

- we have 2 HPC cluster, for example C1 and C2;
- on C1 is mounted a GPFS file system ( for example FS1 ) managed by HSM;
- on C2 is mounted a GPFS file system ( for example FS2 ) managed by HSM;
- FS1 and FS2 data have been managed, until today, by the same TSM server (v.5.5).

Now, I would like to do this:
- create a new TSM server and some new TSM client ( using a more recent and supported version );
- continue to manage FS1 data using old TSM server;
- manage FS2 data using new TSM client and server.

PROBLEM: FS2 file system is about 171TB and 400TB (of FS2 data) have already been migrated using old TSM client and server.

How can I "move" FS2 HSM managed data from old TSM server to the new one?
I would like to avoid recalling all 400TB ( little by little ) and migrate them again using the new server.
Someone could help me?!

Thanks again.
Mauro Tridici

Back