• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

Migrate (move) data from container pool to a new hardware

dcabro

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I need to add new disks from new backend storage, and need to migrate existing backup data from single storage pool (multiple stg pool dirs).

I found this: https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/migrate-data-container-pool-new-hardware

But I have thousands of containers, and doing that manually will take forever. Not sure how to script it either.

Any other way to move this data to a new stg pool dir within same container?

Trident

TSM/Storge dude
ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.basefarm.no
Hi,
For AIX, you can do quite alot using disk subsystem commands. I would guess the same applies to other operating systems too.

Some storage systems allow you to migrate luns from one system to another. IBM will allow you to mount a foreign lun, and then move it in flight (svc functionanlity).

If you can share some more info, like OS/hardware plattform, source storage and destination storage, then we may give more accurate info.

dcabro

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I know, I've started migratepv to move data, but I was wondering if there's a way to do it from the application side in case I need to do it on Windows, and have no option to do it via storage mechanisms.

Trident

TSM/Storge dude
ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.basefarm.no
Hi,

I have used the process of adding stgpooldir's on new storage, and setting the old ones to reado. Leave it for a while to let new chunks to be written to new area. Then, I use a select statement to find containers that I can quickly get rid of:

Code:
select FREE_SPACE_MB,'move container '||cast(container_name as char(40)) from containers where STGPOOLDIR_NAME like '/tsm/oldstgpooldirs/%' and STATE='AVAILABLE' order by FREE_SPACE_MB  desc
Modify to suit your disk layout. Then you can focus on clearing out the low hanging fruits first.

Make no mistake, it will take time.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 22 19.5%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 67 59.3%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 9 8.0%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BackupPlan