• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

Methods for backing up multiple VMs with VCB and TSM

LanSchroeder

ADSM.ORG Member
Hello everyone!

I'm setting up a VCB proxy with the TSM 5.5 client installed on it and I plan on using that to back up just full image files from our VMware infrastructure. I am following a bunch of guides from VMware and Ibm on how to set this up and so far everything works as expected with the pre-command and post-command batch files and the mounting and unmounting of luns.

We have about 40 vms that we would like to backup only once a week. If i apply all of the vms to the vmlist and add it to a schedule it will try to mount every vm and perform a backup. I'm trying to avoid an all in one backup and i would like to stagger it throughout the week.

My question is there any recommendations on how to approach this? Is there a simple way to be able to just pick 7 or so vms to back up on a weekly basis per night?

We are running latest version of VCB on our proxy with a 5.5.0.1 client that phones home to a 5.4 TSM server.

Any info would be helpful! Thanks!

sgabriel62

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Schedule as many as your platform can provide for and within your "maintenance backup window" of your daily routines. You'll have to time it from end to end, see how long one snapshot takes, and how long it takes to reset and start a new. I would expect to do 7 to 10 per day so you can get all 40 done for the week.

My VMware environment has 25 machines and my VCB proxy server doesn't have enough space to accommdate a mounting of all the VM's at once. I also wanted to avoid having mulitple schedules for different machines so what i've done is created a batch file with the following lines:

REM THis will backup serverx.local
cscript /nologo "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\tsm\command.wsf" -pre "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework" VCB serverx.local-FullVM
dsmc backup
cscript /nologo "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\tsm\command.wsf" -post "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework" VCB

I've repeated this in a batch file and modified the server name as appropriate.

What this does is mount a VM, back it up, then clean up the directory, then repeat the process. I then configured a scheudled task (in windows) to run the batch file at a time of my choosing.

Its kind of a round about way of doing it but it works great for me and, most importanly, it keeps things (relatively) simple.

LanSchroeder

ADSM.ORG Member
Hey Thank you guys for the suggestions.

What we ended up doing was using the multiple schedules and nodes on one machine. To keep it as simple as possible for us we just created a node for our proxy machine for everyday of the week. It isn't too difficult to keep track of 7 schedules.

For each node i associated a weekly schedule with it and its own unique dsm.opt file where i added to the vmlist the only servers i wanted to back up that night.

I had to do A LOT of tweaking and troubleshooting to get everything working correctly but that is how TSM is. One problem that I have come across these past few weeks in production is that if the VMWare LUN mount errors on one particular copy the whole backup will fail. It only happend twice but it appears it was a vmware issue, not TSM.

Other than that it works great now.

Is there a way to have (1) single dsm.opt file for multiple servers?

We have about 25 windows xp workstations used for a single task. What I'm looking for is to have one single dsm.opt file residing on 1 node, but all of the nodes using this one particular dsm.opt file.... Is this possible? If so, what are the steps to accomplish it?

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 60 61.2%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 8 8.2%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agent0810