1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

Media Error when Checking in LTO2 Tapes

Discussion in 'Tape / Media Library' started by jonesk@chesterfield.gov, Sep 26, 2005.

1. jonesk@chesterfield.gov

jonesk@chesterfield.gov New Member

TSM 5.1.8.0

AIX 5.2

STK L700 Library w/6 IBM Ultrium LTO and 2 IBM Ultrium LTO2 drives

Attempting to use LTO and LTO2 media in one library. I have created a new Device class for the LTO2 tapes. The LTO2 tapes are labeled with LTO2 tape labels. When attempting to label/checkin the new LTO2 tapes, I get the following message:

ANR8300E I/O error on library L700LIB (OP=00006C03,

CC=404, KEY=05, ASC=30, ASCQ=00, SENSE=70.00.05.00.00.00-

.00.0C.00.00.00.00.30.00.00.00.00.00.00.00., Description-

=Media incompatibility). Refer to Appendix D in the

'Messages' manual for recommended action.

Any ideas? Please let me know if you need further info....

3. eddytrio

eddytrio New Member

Was wondering if some have got an answer to this , I am today I am getting same error

IBM 3584 Library
    Old media LTO1
    New Media LTO1 HP

Error
    ANR8300E I/O error on library LTO_LIBRARY1 (OP=00006C03, CC=404, KEY=05, ASC=30,
    ASCQ=00,
    SENSE=70.00.05.00.00.00.00.0A.00.00.00.00.30.00.00.C0.00.06.,
    Description=Media incompatibility). Refer to Appendix D in the 'Messages' manua
    l for recommended action.
    ANR8942E Could not move volume PBH005 from slot-element 769 to slot-element 257.
    ANR8841I Remove volume from slot 769 of library LTO_LIBRARY1 at your convenience

Please let me know how can I checkin new media

Devc is as below

Device Class Name: LTO_DEVCLASS
    Device Access Strategy: Sequential
    Storage Pool Count: 13
    Device Type: LTO
    Format: ULTRIUMC
    Est/Max Capacity (MB): 102,400.0
    Mount Limit: DRIVES
    Mount Wait (min): 5
    Mount Retention (min): 1
    Label Prefix: ADSM
    Library: LTO_LIBRARY1
    Directory:
    Server Name:
    Retry Period:
    Retry Interval:
    Shared:
    Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN

4. anilkumar451

anilkumar451 New Member

Hi , I am a newbie for TSM but i reckon i have read about this situation somewhere in books.

If you are mixing different types of drives and media, configure different device classes: one for each type of media. To specify the exact media type, use the FORMAT parameter in each of the device class definitions. (Do not specify FORMAT=DRIVE). For example, if you are mixing Ultrium Generation 1 and Ultrium Generation 2 drives, specify FORMAT=ULTRIUMC (or ULTRIUM) for the Ultrium Generation 1 device class, and FORMAT=ULTRIUM2C (or ULTRIUM2) for the Ultrium Generation 2 device class.

Both device classes can point to the same library in which there can be Ultrium Generation 1 and Ultrium Generation 2 drives. The drives will be shared between the two storage pools. One storage pool will use the first device class and Ultrium Generation 1 media exclusively. The other storage pool will use the second device class and Ultrium Generation 2 media exclusively. Because the two storage pools share a single library, Ultrium Generation 1 media can be mounted on Ultrium Generation 2 drives as they become available during mount point processing.

Apologies if i am wrong, please someone suggest if i am wrong

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012