Management Classes

Andrew21210

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

I've been asked to produce a breakdown of what filespaces are being backed up under what management classes on a node by node basis. This is a small TSM server with 62 nodes on it and it's also old and EOS (5.5.6.0 MVS). Is there a sql select or series of selects that I can use to pull this information?

PREDATAR Control23

You can try:
select distinct node_name,filespace_name,class_name from backups order by node_name,filespace_name,class_name

Keep in mind that objects are bound to management classes, not filespaces. So if you have objects bound to different management classes in a same filespace, that filespace will come out more than once in the output.

PREDATAR Control23

You can try:
select distinct node_name,filespace_name,class_name from backups order by node_name,filespace_name,class_name

Keep in mind that objects are bound to management classes, not filespaces. So if you have objects bound to different management classes in a same filespace, that filespace will come out more than once in the output.

Thanks marclant. I think that will bring the servers to its knees. I'm willing to run the select against each node one by one since there aren't that many. How would I modify the select to do that?

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks marclant. I think that will bring the servers to its knees. I'm willing to run the select against each node one by one since there aren't that many. How would I modify the select to do that?

EDIT: I forgot to add that they are looking to get amounts of data per file space per management class! Is that even possible?

PREDATAR Control23

It's not an intense query. It's not doing any counts or math. With "distinct", after it found one iteration, it jumps to the next.

PREDATAR Control23

EDIT: I forgot to add that they are looking to get amounts of data per file space per management class! Is that even possible?
That will bring your server to it's knees. I don't know the syntax, but you'd need to join the occupancy and the backups table as the management class is in the backups table and the size in the occupancy table.

PREDATAR Control23

That will bring your server to it's knees. I don't know the syntax, but you'd need to join the occupancy and the backups table as the management class is in the backups table and the size in the occupancy table.

I can just ballpark it with a "q occ" for each node. At least I can get occupancy for the file space.