Maintenance Script - which processes can or can´t run parallel

dieter76

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,

I have troubles with a maintenance script that the 24 hours are not enough. In the maintenance script I used the parallel option, but some processes need many hours and so the maintenance script runs very often over 24 hours.

Can any one tell me which processes should never run parallel and which processes can run in parallel?

At the moment my maintenance script looks like this:

SERIAL
PARALLEL
backup stgpool filepool copypool1 maxpr=3 w=y
backup stgpool diskpool copypool2 maxpr=2 w=y
SERIAL
PARALLEL
SERIAL
backup db type=full devc=ltoclass w=y
delete volhist type=dbb todate=today-5
backup volhist
backup devconfig

So my question is which processes for example can run parallel to the backup stgpool -> copypool. Can I run a migration parallel?
Which processes can run parallel to an expire inventory and so on.

Are there any documents from IBM or recommendations?

I found one document from IBM but there I can´t find any information about which processes can run parallel

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27021836&aid=1

Thank you in advance.
Regards

You should not run migration in parallel with the backup stgpool, because you would be trying to take a backup of data that is changing. You can backup multiple stgpool at the same time and you can migrate multiple stgpool at the same time, assuming you have enough tape drives to handle the workload.

When 24 hours are no longer sufficient to complete the client backups and all the housekeeping tasks, it's usually time to start looking at performance tuning, possibly adding hardware (tape drives, CPU, memory, disk) depending on the bottleneck. And in extreme cases, splitting the instance into two instances.

Back