LTO tape versus Optical Disk Archiving (ODA) for long term data protection and retention

Hsing1

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
The title is from an article to compare LTO with ODA, I just copy it and hope getting more information about these 2 backup solution.
http://www.burameter.com/Articles/A...A-for-long-term-data-protection-and-retention

My TV company use TSM solution since 2011. We have 2 TSM server in cluster, 5 HSM server, GPFS over the SAN storage (~ 80T), and backup data to LTO4 by TS3500, TS3310. Currently , we have more then 2000 LTO4 tapes.

Our MAM(Media Asset Management) software is base on TSM storage management to deliver daily program.

I am just a programmer. Currently, a devops for this system. The problem is that TSM is totally new to me. I have no idea how to maintain it. Previously, the maintenance is outsourcing to contractor.
Since last year, our vp decided not to renew maintenance for cost down. and want to get rid such a complex backup system. He decide to introduce Sony ODA for simplicity reason. For me, I am totally disagree with his solution. My solution is that we need take over the maintenance not get rid of it. But how can I persuade others, my manager and vp?
Are there reference cases that I can use?

Need your help.
Thanks

Everything I know about ODA is that it's considerably slower and capacity is lower to a comparable LTO solution. Talk to your IBM rep they would love to show you how TSM is better.

Back