1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

LT04 Defective Tapes

Discussion in 'Tape / Media Library' started by dig1tal, Mar 24, 2008.

1. dig1tal

dig1tal New Member

cyberpunk
    Has anyone noticed a significant defective percentage in the number of LT04 tapes that they use? We have ordered two 30+ LTO4 tapes from two different suppliers and seem to have a defective rate of about 13%. This is higher than the number of defective tapes that we get with our LTO3 tapes. I have opened PMR's with IBM support to confirm that it was not the tape drives or TSM. Just wanted to see what the general consensus is.

Thanks,
    Robert

3. ttrinh7975

ttrinh7975 Senior Member

System Programmer II/ Storage Admin
    Per IBM recommendation, stay with FUJI for LTO tapes...

FUJI LTO's are more reliable..

Good Luck

4. ADK

ADK New Member

ttrinh7975,

Do you agree with IBM on this?
    I haven't had any tests on LTO-4, only LTO-2 and due to the fact that you could not guarantee that either Fuji or Maxell branded cassettes contained their respective tape/chip we opted for Imation (as they only put their own tape into their cassettes).

My migration plan is based upon Imation so am interested to see anything that would suggest otherwise.

5. Stephan

Stephan Senior Member

Storage / System Administrator (UNIX)
    Hi.

we've been using IMATION tapes ever since the original introduction of my 3584 (with lto2). We've now moved on through lto3 and 4 and i do not get many 'bad' tapes...

Do you see a pattern with the bad tapes always coming from the same drives?? could be a bad drive instead...

6. djchopps0013

djchopps0013 Senior Member

Storage Administrator
    We use a enterprise HP library with HP tapes. LTO4 for about 3-4 months now. Havent had any more than with LTO3

7. dig1tal

dig1tal New Member

cyberpunk
    Looks like my issue might be a drive. Seems to occur on one specific drive. Thanks for the replies.

8. Lars_Svensson

Lars_Svensson New Member

I'm using the TS3200 tape library and I have experienced the same problems with LTO4 tapes. I've tried dfferent tape brands but there was no difference. About a mounth ago IBM released new firmware for the library and the tape drives. After upgrading the firmware I havn't had any read or write errors.

Good Luck

9. Stephan

Stephan Senior Member

Storage / System Administrator (UNIX)
    Makes a little more sense that way doesn't it? :)
    When i do get an error on a tape, i take note of the drive it happened on, just to make sure that if i do get another error that same day or sometime soon after, it isn't the same drive...
    If it is, i usually don't mess around too much and get a replacement from IBM...