Lock a filespace

sfb

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a very important server for which we musn't lose the archives. To stop users accidently deleting archive i have updated the node archdel=no.
We have had an incident in the past where a filespace was accidently deleted!
So, my question is: Is there a way to lock the filespace so that users cannot delete the filespace?

Thank you very much for your help

Best regards.:)

You have done everything that can be done to prevent it from being deleted at the client level. That only leaves an admin doing it from an admin client. That can be prevented by using proper security levels within TSM. If someone has the security level to delete a filespace, then there is nothing that can prevent it from within an admin client. The activity log should show if anyone does it and who that person was.

-Aaron

Hi,

Thanks for your reply heada.

I am a little confused. At the moment, anybody who has permission to logon to the server can launch dsm.exe without having to give any credential and delete the filespace. This is what i would like to prevent.
Not sure what you mean by "Client level" and "Admin client"

Thanks

From the client, anyone that runs "dsm.exe" is accessing as the client server. By removing the ability to delete archives like you did, you should be OK and no one should be able to delete the archive from the client. On the other hand, anyone that can run dsmamdc or access the web admin interface can still delete the filespace but that is protected by userID/password and permissions within the TSM server.

-Aaron

Thanks

That now makes sense.

Thanks very much for your help heada.

All the best.:up:

Back