Linux TSM upgrade from 6.3.4 to 7.1 unrecognized password

foobar2devnull

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was attempting to upgrade my dual instance TSM server from 6.3.4 to 7.1 but I'm a little puzzled on the new upgrade process. Can you help?

I get the following request for a password but I'm at a loss. I have no TSM (admin) user named tsminst1/2 on my instances and the verified system user password is refused as show bellow

Code:
Instance credentials:
--------------------------

------------
  Instance name: tsminst1
  Do you want update this instance?       Y. Yes    N. No
-----> [Y, N]
Y
    User name: tsminst1
    Password:
Enter the password. Alternatively, to skip this instance, type "s" and then press Enter.
----->

Verifying...
  The password for this instance is not recognized. Retry the password. Alternatively, to skip this instance, type "s" and then press Enter.
----->

What is TSM expecting? An admin within the instance, a system user with a less complex password?

As a bonus, could someone point me to a description for each of these?
Code:
     1. [X] IBM® Installation Manager 1.7.0
     2. [X] IBM Tivoli Storage Manager server 7.1.0.20131126_1825
     3. [ ] IBM Tivoli Storage Manager languages 7.1.0.20131126_1814
     4. [X] IBM Tivoli Storage Manager license 7.1.0.20131126_1814
     5. [X] IBM Tivoli Storage Manager storage agent 7.1.0.20131126_1813
     6. [X] IBM Tivoli Storage Manager device driver 7.1.0.20131126_1814
     7. [ ] IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center 7.1.0.20131126_1705

I have a two instance server that shares a tape library between them, does the above look right?

Any info would be fantastic. Documentation, personal experience or just a link to a post I might have missed. ;)

Thanks.

the tsminst1 user should be the User used for installing the TSM. It is the system user where the DB2 is installed on.
The other question I am not sure, thats why I better not say anything.

Thanks for the clarification! I can only imagine it's a password problem.

Why does he need the system tsminstanceX password if the installation is meant to run as root?

I think I need to find a more in-depth documentation than IBM's './install.sh -c'!

If any of you have further information for me to get this upgrade working, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have been looking for more information on upgrading my environment to 7.1 but all I can find on the IBM website is this which resumes to this:
Code:
./install.sh -c

Do any of you have any experience in upgrading your Linux TSM env, or any other unix env for that matter? Do you know of a place where I can find IBM's hidden upgrade to 7.1 documentation?

Really, any help is welcome. ;)

Ok, I am just attacking the first bit on the password first. Typically when we do TSM installs, we install as root, and the install uses the tsminst1 login and passwd because that is how TSM defaults it inside DB2. So on the OS, we set that user prior to the install (as root, you know, create a user called 'tsminst1' in grp 'tsmgrp' etc...), make sure the home dir is there and accessible, blah, blah... It sounds like you are saying whoever installed the system installed it and then maybe the SA removed or changed that user from/on the OS, and I can't even begin to imagine why anyone would ever change it inside of DB2... But anyway - to upgrade - you are going to need to know what the login and password is. Otherwise, the access to the data... ??? You can, during the install, tell it to use any dir structure you want, if you need to send it to SAN or some other space - but typically we all use tsminst1 (tsminst2 if you are creating a secondary instance, etc...). I hope you are following me ? So what I am telling you is, don't upgrade without the password. And please make sure you have a good backup before you do it. On tape. On disk. Anywhere you can.

As far as the hidden documentation, good luck. Let us know if you find it. Usually I think we all write our own ;P

I hope this helps you in some way.
-Chef.

And on the Code question, if you aren't sure what those are, read the basic install guide. Find out what is installed NOW on the Linux Server, and upgrade those parts. :)
Most likely you have them selected properly, but I'd check on the Language pack...

-Chef.

Thank you for your reply chef fern. I'm the guy who installed the server and the two instances running on it! ;)

Still, seeing as how I'm such a good boy, I did name both system users tsminst1 and tsminst2 and gave them passwords. When I log into the system with one of these user/passwords, it works but when I install, the password is refused.

I am guessing my password might have a character which doesn't suit the installer. I was going to change it until I figured that password might also be used by DB2 and changing it might cause havoc.

I think I'll resign myself to call a consultant and accept that it takes more than three years to be a TSM guru ;)

Thank you all for your help but I think the risk is a little high. When I do upgrade, I'll try and post the steps.

All the best and thanks again.

I am guessing my password might have a character which doesn't suit the installer. I was going to change it until I figured that password might also be used by DB2 and changing it might cause havoc.

This is probably the cause, but changing the password should have no impact on DB2/TSM - I've done it a bunch of times with no side effects. As far as I know, the user password is not stored within TSM or DB2 anywhere.

Hi all,

I finished my upgrade. It was not easy and I'm sure that quite a few admins will have to do it soonish so I wrote a blog entry (multiple ones actually) to try and give back to ADSM.

Comments are welcome.

Now all I need to do is change my signature ;)

Congratulations ! :D

Your blog entry link doesn't seem to work for some reason.

I know. I asked the forum admin to let me know what was wrong but never got a reply. The post is too long for this thread and the blog fails.

I rewrote it and posted it on this site. Let's hope it can help someone. It's on a dynamic IP so if you can't reach it, retry in 5 ;)

Last edited:
To the person who posted this comment: "Still, seeing as how I'm such a good boy, I did name both system users tsminst1 and tsminst2 and gave them passwords. When I log into the system with one of these user/passwords, it works but when I install, the password is refused."

I am in the exact same situation trying to do this upgrade. I see you posted later saying you completed your upgrade but you never said how you got past that problem. Could you (or anyone else) please share that information?

Thanks

Back