Linux BA Client Scheduling

andyj

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

We have a Linux Box that has a scheduled backup running which is managed by dsmcad.

On the same box I am configuring cristie CBMR to use the API and I also want to schedule this backup using dsmcad to run alongside the existing one. I take it that I need another instance of dsmcad running to manage this 2nd schedule?

I been trying for the last couple of hours to get dsmcad to run for this new CBMR backup.

I have the servername's in the /api/bin/dsm.opt and seperate stanza's in /api/bin/dsm.sys

If I set the environment variables as below and try and start dsmcad the following happens:-

DSMI_LOG=/var/opt/tivoli/tsm/log/dsmerror1.log
DSMI_CONFIG=/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/api/bin/dsm.opt
DSMI_DIR=/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/api/bin

16/05/08 18:48:07 (dsmcad) ANS9999E amsgrtrv.cpp(3072): Message No 11000 could not be found.
16/05/08 18:48:07 (dsmcad) ANS9999E amsgrtrv.cpp(3072): Message No 11000 could not be found.
16/05/08 18:48:07 (dsmcad) ANS0102W Unable to open the message repository /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/en_GB/dsmclientV3.cat. The American English repository will be used instead.
16/05/08 18:48:07 (dsmcad) ANS1217E Server name not found in System Options File
Execution terminated: CAD initialization failure
Check error log /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/api/bin/dsmerror.log

If I then remove the 'managedservices schedule' from the relevant stanza in the /api/bin/dsm.sys and change the schedmode to polling and then try and start the scheduler manually I get the following error.

[root@xxxxxxxxxx bin]# dsmc sched -optfile=/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/api/bin/dsm.opt -servername=CBMR
ANS9999E amsgrtrv.cpp(3072): Message No 11000 could not be found.
ANS9999E amsgrtrv.cpp(3072): Message No 11000 could not be found.
ANS0102W Unable to open the message repository /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/en_GB/dsmclientV3.cat. The American English repository will be used instead.
ANS1217E Server name not found in System Options File

If I then try the same command but change the servername parameter to one that is valid for /ba/bin/dsm.opt the scheduler starts

I wondered if anybody can shed some light on where I may be going wrong?

Thanks Andy

Andy - I would keeo Christie under the dsmcad service alone - but back your changes.
I would create the Client Scheduler Service (dsmc sched) to manage the B/A client. You will have two separate processes each reading its own option file or stanza of the dsm.sys.
Hope this helps

hi,
you might as well want to try avoiding dsmcad and use two separate dsmc sched processes, each of them pointing to the proper dsm.opt by using the option '-SErvername=xxx'.
The problem you're coping with relies in the "ANS1217E Server name not found in System Options File", alla the garbage written before doesn't really matter.
cheers
max

hi, i think you should also have a separate name server name for cbmr and tsmclient. there would be 2 schedulers. one pointing to the cbmr and the other pointing the tsmclient. i think you are pointing the 2 schedulers to then tsmbaclient.

1 tsmbaclient = tsmsched
1 cbmrclient = cbmrsched

Hope i was able to help.

Regards,
Jeff

Last edited:
Hi simply use this line manualy:
/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/api/bin/dsmc -servername=cbmr1 sched -quiet > /dev/null 2>&1

skeek quiet if you wont large dsmsched.log file You can't mixt -optfile and -servername because bouth do the same job, on windows nodes use opt file option on unix-like servernameoption

or make a script

==Inittab==

echo "# start tsm-agents" >> /etc/inittab
echo "dsmc:2345:eek:nce:/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmc -servername=cbmr1 sched -quiet > /dev/null 2>&1" >> /etc/inittab
echo "dsmc:2345:eek:nce:/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmc -servername=cbmr2 sched -quiet > /dev/null 2>&1" >> /etc/inittab

For redhat 6 or like:

vi /etc/init/dsm-sched.conf
# dsm-sched
start on runlevel [2345]
stop on runlevel [016]
respawn
respawn limit 10 120
script
export LANG=en_US
export LC_ALL=en_US
exec /usr/bin/dsmc -servername=cbmr1 sched -quiet >/dev/null 2>&1
exec /usr/bin/dsmc -servername=cbmr2 sched -quiet >/dev/null 2>&1
end script

This service is started at boot time. You can also ask init to start the new service now:

initctl start dsm-sched (or stop to stop scheduler)
make same script for cad service... or call me :)

Back