LINUX and 4560SLX LTO-2 tape drives

spearchucker

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Gidday folks,

Sorry if this is a series of dumb questions, but I'm a newbie with LINUX.

OK, here goes. I have an x345 machine running RedHat LINUX ES 2.1 at kernel level 2.4.9-e.24. I have TSM server 5.2.2 installed and running.

Now, I need to install and get working an IBM 4560SLX tape drive with an LTO-2 tape drive. The only drivers etc I got with device were for Windows. As far as I know a colleague has bolted the tape drive together, and connected it to the TSM server, but I can't verify this as it's offsite. It certainly doesn't seem to be defined to LINUX yet.

From what I've read so far, I need to install the IBMtape driver, is this correct? Also, does the IBMtape driver also work with the 4560 library itself, or is that another driver?

I have downloaded the IBM Tapetool, but when I run IBM tape tool I get an error saying that no tape drives have been found.

When I look up the web site for the IBMtape driver, I see only a few drivers that seem to be specific for a few LINUX kernels, the first of which seems to be 2.4.9-e.25 (sigh) Does this mean that the IBMtape driver can only be used on these few kernel levels, which seem to me to be pretty old?

As you can see, I don't really have much of a clue about adding devices to LINUX, so any help would be appreciated.

Thx, John.

For now, I have manually loaded the Linux drivers, and then rescanned scsi and I now have a tape drive, so I've made some progress after a couple days worth of research.

Back