Licensing Tracking

HJG

Newcomer
Reaction score
Is there a way to track how many Licenses we should have for each client and sever?

Hello,

From my understanding you do not have to purchase a license for your TSM servers. You only need to purchase license based on on a per value units basis for you TSM clients only. You may also have to buy licenses for other TSM products if used, (such as TDP for exchange, etc...).

Try this link. It is in a lot of the other posts and describes things pretty well.

Check your resources first as I've experienced several instances where the I've gotten the Jedi mind trick when it comes to purchasing licenses.

IBM does have software that you can install that will track your licenses against your current usage and environment, I forget the name of it though. Sorry about that. IBM will tell you what it is, they like you to have it installed. It gives you real time reports to use for licensing.

http://www-142.ibm.com/software/sw-...s/processor_value_unit_licensing_announcement

Last edited:
You do have to license the TSM server. There is a basic TSM server (almost worthless) and the enterprise server as well as another one that escapes me at the moment. The type of TSM server license you will need is based on the environment you'll be running. Some things require the enterprise license to use (DRM, Library sharing, etc) and then there is licenses above and beyond the server like DRM.

Contact your IBM reseller and they should be able to tell you exactly what you need based on the environment you're running (or will be running).

-Aaron

Thanks for the correction. TSM licensing can get a bit confusing at times. The changeover to per value units from per processor in June 2006 had me confused again. We count on IBM to sort it all out for us as well. We just give them the raw numbers and they let us know what/how many licenses we need. Anyway thanks for the clarification.

Steve

I did'nt want to make a new topic but we have issues with licensing also. We have tsm extended edition. But i can't register tdp for oracle license. We have tdp for sql and exchange working. What license should we ask from IBM to get tdp for oracle?

Back