Libvolume with same label in different libraries

blew

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
today i've noticed that in the libvols of a TSM 6.2 there are some tapes with the same label, how is this possible?

This is the result of q libv:

tsm: TSM_6.2>q libv * A00112L3 f=d
Library Name Volume Name Status Owner Last Use Home Device Media Type
Element Type
------------ ----------- -------- ------- -------- ------- ------ ----------
LTOLIB A00112L3 Private TSM_6.2 Data 1,138 LTO LTO-3
TS3500 A00112L3 Private TSM_6.2 Data 1,184 LTO LTO-3

Obviously just one of the tapes is in the volhistory and is assigned to a storage pool. I've fixed it but can't understand how could this happen. It's not a synchrony error between libvols and library inventory, checking libraries I've found physically the tapes with the same labels.

You mean there are two physical tapes with the same label? If so, each one would not care as these were assigned to different libraries. The issue gets complicated when storing the tapes - which one goes to which library. I suggest moving the data to some other volume and destroy the duplicate volume.

If there isn't physically two volumes of the same label, then the issue is of wrong allocation (only applies if the libraries are virtual). Run an audit of both libraries and see which one drops the duplicate volume.

Last edited:
The other problem is that if one of both tapes are checked out, and an operation asks for that volume name, if the wrong one is mounted, then there will be some i/o errors because the objects won't be found on the tape. It's a good thing you corrected that.

Thanks for the replies, I've solved checking out the one with no reference in the volhistory but is so strange that two vols (no virtual) with same label are assigned at the same TSM server.

Back